The Tragedy

“Grogu.” Din says softly, looking at the small child who was playing with the small silver ball that he enjoyed playing with whenever possible. Grogu cooed and giggled, holding the ball tighter.

“Grogu?” I ask too, trying to get the kid’s attention, waving my hand near his eyes. He only chuckled and held the ball tighter.

“Give me the ball. Grogu, give me the ball. Come on.” Grogu only squealed, holding the ball with his hand and nearing it near his mouth. “You can have it, just like before. Grogu, come on. You can have it. Come on.” Din wiggled the ball once it was in his hand, trying to get the small green child to take it with the Force.

“Dank farrik! Hey, no. I’m not mad at you. You did good. I just… When the nice lady said you had training, I just…” Din sighed. “You’re very special, kid.”

I smile at his kindness. He may have the demeanor of a hardened bounty hunter, but inside...he was like a cinnamon roll. “You’ve got this, Grogu.”

“We’re gonna find that place you belong and they’re gonna take real good care of you.”

We waited in the Razor Crest as we neared the planet. This ride wasn’t going to be the best as we landed, because Din and I both knew that this was when Grogu would finally decide his path.

“This is Tython. That’s where we’re gonna try and find you a Jedi.” Din says, glancing at the child. My gaze fixed on the back of his beskar helmet. Why’d you have to be so stubborn about it? I’ve seen your face!

He continued on talking to the child who literally hasn’t spoken, “But you have to agree to go with them if they want you to. Understand? Plus, I can’t train you. You’re too powerful. Don’t you wanna learn more of that Jedi stuff? I agreed to take you back to your own kind, so that’s what I need to do. You understand, right? Looks like that’s the magic rock I’m supposed to take you to down there.”

We looked out the viewport,  “Sorry, buddy. I can’t land on the top. Too small. We’re gonna have to travel the last stretch with the windows down.” Din said, but it seemed targeted to me.

“Huh, okay. If you say so. A little hiking never- oh. Oh. You meant...damn it…” of course he wanted to use his jetpack down. That wouldn’t work for all three of us. I hope he knew that.

He didn’t know that, because I was holding onto both him and Grogu with my life depending on it, the wind blowing my hair wildily.

“Well, I guess this is it.” Din said once all of our feet were on the ground,  “Does this look Jedi to you? I guess you sit right here. Okay. Here we go.”

Grogu was taking much longer than either of us anticipated, because Din started pacing once he saw a ship overhead, and then he took the last ten minutes trying to break the barrier Grogu was around, and started cursing to himself.