The Secret

It has been a week since Grogu went away from us, and with the Jedi, whom we learned to be Luke Skywalker, the hero amongst the galaxy. His father was Anakin Skywalker, a.ka. Darth Vader, who died during the Battle of Endor. 

Din and I sat in the small home we owned on Nevarro, courtesy to Cara and Greef for giving us a place to stay. But something between us was different. Ever since we found out we might be expecting a baby, our connection seemed to be broken. As I watched him stand up and start cleaning the plate he was eating off of, not giving me a second glance. 

“Din, how much longer are we going to ignore each other?” I ask, frowning and going to stand up.

As if he had some sort of instinct, he gently pushed me back into my seat, “You need to be resting if you’re pregnant.” Was all he said in his low tone.

“I have been resting. More than you think I do. Can you just answer my question?”

“I don’t know, Justine. I’m afraid to be a father, and with Grogu gone.” he sighed, tempted to put his helmet back on. “I’m sorry. I don’t wanna ignore you, I just don’t wanna fail you. Or…” his hand slid down from my shoulder to the side of my torso, “Our little one. I didn’t have a father for the majority of my life, what if I fail our child? What if I’m not a good father?”

I stopped him by placing a finger on his lips. “You won’t. It’s a team effort for one. For two, you were a father to Grogu. And he loved you, and was never harmed. Sure, he got taken by Gideon. So what? You got him back. And…” I smile softly, “It is official.”

“What is?”

“We’re going to be parents in eight months.” I smiled wider, looking up at him.

“You got it checked? I thought…” He furrowed his eyebrows. Din was never one to take excitement right away. “Justine…”

“I did. You were busy with the reconstruction of the town hall, I took the liberty to go to a doctor. You’re welcome.” I put my hands on my hips, standing up.

“No ma’am. You better sit down right now. You are carrying my baby, and I will not allow you to be reckless.” He kissed my cheek, and left the room, and me sitting in the chair.

“Hey! Din!” I groan, standing up and walking over to him, "Din, I'm fine. It's only the second month. The most I could do to hurt myself is eat something wrong or run into something-"

"- and you won't. I'm a Mandalorian. I can make sure the woman of my dreams won't hurt herself…" he was thinking about something… what it was, I had no idea. He ran his hand along my waist and stomach, his eyes were lost. "Justine...I love you very much. More than anything. I wanna spend my life with you and our baby. "

"Aww, Din… that's the nicest thing I've ever heard. " I felt tears come to my eyes, and before I knew it, I was sobbing my eyes off. 

"Justine? Why are you crying?" He sounded worried, his hand cupping my cheek gently, "What did I do?"

"You didn't do anything. I'm fine!" I wailed, hiding my face in his chest. 

"If you're already hormonal now, then the lord needs to be on my side when you're further into pregnancy." He chuckled, stroking my stomach with a thumb. 

"I-" I stopped myself. He was right. If I'm crying like a baby now… how will I be in four months? Sure, I might need help since I'll be carrying the baby, but he's my support. He'll need help too. One way or another. 

Now, this month was full of morning sickness, hormones, eating at two in the morning, and crying. Din was always there, rubbing my shoulders and pressing kisses to my face. 

"Hey, love… how are you feeling?" He asked softly one day, while I had a rag over my eyes. 

"Not well...I feel… bloated. "

"You're not. You're beautiful and amazing and you're making a miracle right now. "

That was something he was great at. Providing the support and comfort that I need. 

How are we going to explain to everyone that Din and I were expecting a baby? Whatever Din was thinking about, he stood in front of me, looking into my eyes. 

“Justine, I want to spend the rest of my life with you, and I mean it when I say that. I don’t have a lot, but-” He got on one knee, and my hands jumped to cover my mouth in a soft gasp. From his pocket, he pulled out a small band of beskar. “Will you be my forever?”

I nodded eagerly and quickly, looking at him with wide eyes. He slipped the band onto my finger and kissed me too quickly. Too short. It took me a second to realize he pulled away.

“I don’t wanna have a big fancy wedding. I’d rather it just be us, and I’d prefer Grogu to be here too…but I understand if you’d rather it be different.” Din whispers, looking at me softly.

“You think I want a big wedding, where I’ll have to socialize and accept gifts from people? I’m one of the biggest introverts you’ll meet.” I laugh, looking at him and shaking my head. There was no way that I would allow that. No in a million years. Now, as we sat there hugging, it felt as if time stopped, and no one but us was left in the world. 

So that’s why I had to accept his proposal. I love him too much. And it may also be the hormones talking, but I feel like I can’t last another minute without him by my side.

And I think back to when I was assigned to kill him and deliver Grogu to his death. When he was just another bounty I had to deal with. It made me chuckle, how I held him as a prisoner but couldn’t even control the Razor Crest. 

“What’s so funny?” Din pulled away and looked at me.

“Nothing at all, love. Nothing at all.”