The Panic

I was sitting in the house, looking around. It was still a bit dark, but early enough where Din wouldn’t be mad that I’m awake. There was no use in trying to go back to sleep. The baby wouldn’t stop moving and giving me heartburn, so staying awake was the easiest option. Besides, it was better than walking around. 

“Justine?” I heard the coarse, deep voice I fell in love with. “Hey...what are you doing? Are you okay?”

“Mhmm. I was thinking...with the Empire still after us, how are we going to keep the baby safe?” I whisper, turning the light on.

“Well, we survived with Grogu for so long-”

“-But this baby isn’t Grogu. The baby isn’t fifty years old and is Force sensitive.” 

He sighed and sat by me, playing with a piece of my hair. “It’s going to be all okay...are you feeling okay? Sick?”

I nod slowly, “I have heartburn. I’m not feeling well, and sleeping is just impossible at this point.”

“I’m sorry...I love you.”

“I love you too.”

--------------

The next day, Din and I walked around town, making a plan for when the baby arrives. Nevarro was known for it being the hive of bounty hunting, but the markets were still vibing and buzzing with people.

An old woman was sewing together soft pieces of cloth, making blankets, and I walked over.

“Hello...interested in one of these?” she says, holding one out.

“Mhm. Is the cloth easy on sensitive skin?” I gently took it from her, feeling the fabric. It was soft, and I smiled. Din felt like a whole new man outside the house, not wearing his helmet.

Din’s P.O.V

Watching the love of my life smile and dream about when the baby arrives, it makes me smile and feel happy. 

She was holding a blanket in her hands, when the old woman realized that she was pregnant, and began spoiling Justine. Justine was my fiance, and the mother of my child. She deserved so much in this world, and another. As the woman gave Justine plenty of blankets and pieces of cloth, and scolded her for trying to pay for it all.

This was a calm life. A better life I thought I was ever going to get. But one thing was still hard. My helmet. I do miss wearing it, but Justine had asked me one night to wear it, just in tears. She sobbed because she missed my face when we were in public, and I did have to blame her hormones, but long story short, I don’t wear it as much anymore. 

“Din! Look at this!” Justine smiled, showing me one of the blankets. It was cute and I reached forward to feel the fabric. 

“It’s soft. But don’t you think the shopping should wait until we have a birth plan?”

“A birth plan? Oh...probably. But like what? I know I don’t want to be cut open, nor do I want to give birth in water. I’ve thought this through, love. If possible, I’d like to give birth in a hospital sort of setting but if we have to do it at home, then that’s that.”

I listened to her and smiled, pressing a kiss to her lips. “Alright, mi amor. Now, you should get off your feet for a bit.”

“But I’ve barely been up!” she whined. 

“How about some lunch then? Feeding a baby and my future wife seems priority.”

“Actually that doesn’t sound-” she trailed off when she saw an Imperial land speeder drive up. I tensed and looked at them as stormtroopers exited it, my hand going to my blaster. 

They were checking for chain codes, and one was approaching us. Justine was panicking slightly, and having a pregnant woman panic was a bit overwhelming.

When the trooper approached us, I had to act calm in order to keep us safe and under the persona that we were civilians. 

“May I see your chain-” the trooper started.

Justine doubled over and grabbed my arm, “Oh honey! I think the baby is coming!”

My eyes got wide. That couldn’t be true. It was early. Or maybe something was wrong?? I thought of a million things, and quickly held her waist.

“Do you need to be escorted to a hospital?” The trooper was about to call in for backup.

“No! My husband and I are having an at home birth. He can take me there. Thank you for your service-! Ow!” she grabbed onto me more.

I quickly picked her up and nodded to the trooper and quickly walked home. The panic flooded through me, and I knew that it could only take three hours and I’ll be a father. The thought made me panic worse.

Once she was laying on the couch, I started grabbing her pillows and water. But once I reached her, she was...laughing? “Why the hell are you laughing!? Are you in hysteria??”

“No...I can’t believe that worked!” she laughed, sitting up. “I totally convinced you both!”

“So…” I took a deep breath. It was all an act to get us away. Smart. “The baby isn’t coming?”

“Not yet. My water didn’t even break back there, so that’s how anyone could tell it was fake.” She stood up, folding the blankets that had unfolded during the journey back. “I’m so happy that actually worked.”

“Yeah I can tell. Just promise me...you’ll give me some kind of signal if it’s actually happening or not?”

“Of course. Love you Din.”

“Love you too, Justine.”