the unexpected

|karen| "DREWWW" i yelled growing impatient at how long it was taking him to come on downstairs.

"why you rushing me woman?" he asked as i watched him come down in his boxers. "you coming outside like that?" i asked staring at his bulge.

"yes, problem?" he asked in a snappy tone. "don't start with me drew i promise to God you don't want these problems now here." i said throwing his robe that laid on the arm of his chair he often sat in.

"your so cute when your demanding now come on so i can walk you out." i bit my tongue cause i sure was about to tell him off.

He walked around to the drivers side of the car and opened it for me helping me in then closing the door leaning against it peeking his head through the window.

"well how you feeling honey?" he asked. i turned around facing him, sorted out my words and then opened my mouth to talk.

"i don't know.. the girl sounded young and she seemed worried.. if the spirit hadn't told me to answer the phone i wouldn't have." he nodded and stepped away from the car allowing me to drive off towards the cafe where i was about to meet my so called niece.

i stepped foot onto the pavement and headed towards the entry way. i looked around and my eyes met a young girl i'd say she's about 16 maybe if that.

she stood to her feet as i made my way. "hi we talked yesterday?" she asked holding her hand out for me to shake it. "Briefly, yes" i said taking her hand and shaking it.

i took a seat across from her watching her pull out a folder. the waitress came and i ordered tea with honey and she ordered some type of cappuccino.

"so first things first, i'm deaja moss but my friends and family- well whats left of it calls me dee." she showed me her birth certificate and it was legit.

the "what's left of it" replayed in the back of my head. she was young.. if i did my math right she was 15. "so how'd you get my number?" i asked still baffled that i could have a new niece i never knew existed.

"you can find anything on the internet if you know what you're doing" she said letting out a little laugh that sounded way too familiar.

"so where's your parents, how did you get here and what made you reach out to me?" i asked the series of questions wanting to get to the bottom of this whole ordeal.

"my mom trina died two years ago by my father.. he killed her right in front of me." my heart immediately dropped..  i remember trina from years and years ago way before deaja was born.

"how'd i get here? well i actually took the city bus and i reached out to you cause mama always talked about you and your sisters but it seemed as if you specifically had a special place in her heart." she said causing a tear to roll down my cheek.

the waitress came with our things and i took a minute sipping my tea while trying to process everything that i was told.

"so who have you been living with?" i asked cause from the sounds of it she was an orphan.. i wasn't understanding.

"well actually i've been staying at marriot.. i know the guy who owns it so i get a free room and free meals and all that.

"Lord have mercy" i thought to myself but all that came out my mouth was "i am so so sorry" i said taking her by the hand.

she favored dorinda a little bit.. same slim figure she seemed to be a little taller than me.. to be honest i saw the resemblance.

she smiled as her eyes started to water. "im sorry" she said quickly wiping the tears that escaped her eyes. "no don't be" i said.

"well here's the folder just in case you're having any doubts, thank you for your time" she said standing up from her seat giving a smile before she turned away.

"wait-" i said grabbing her by the arm. "how about we go on a little car ride and i can drop you off, i promise i won't kidnap you" i said causing a laugh to leave her lips.

"okay that's fine" she said. i took care of the ticket and we headed to my car. we drove around detroit for what felt like an hour talking and exchanging information.

i parked the car in the parking lot of marriot and got out taking her in my arms as we said our goodbye's.

"i'll give you a call tomorrow." she shook her head in response "yes ma'am" she said before turning around on her feet heading inside.

i stood their until i knew she made it inside safe and got in the car. i called drew and told him i was headed to practice and that we would talk later.

-30 minutes later-

i was standing in the church's sanctuary with my sisters rehearsing. "what you been doing all day karen?" jacky asked while we took ten.

"well i met up with our niece." i said not sure on how i was supposed to tell them. "which one karen?" dorinda asked walking around in circles.

"first off sit down you making me nervous" i said then finished. "y'all remember trina?" i asked.. twinkie, dorinda and jacky nodded their heads.

"well she had a daughter" i said. "why'd you say had like-" twinkies voice trailed off. "she was killed by the father of her child." i said causing them to gasp and cover their mouths.

"i know, but get this. the daughter is only fifteen and she's living in a hotel." i said. "oh my goodness-" dorinda whispered to herself.

"well i have this folder she gave me" i said. jacky took it and went over with the rest of them. "so what are we gonna do?" twink asked and i had no idea... she was our niece and she had nobody.

"i'll pray about it cause i'm not so sure." i said gathering my things and told them i would give them a call when i figured everything out.

i headed straight home ready to get home and let drew know what was going on. i walked in the house and instantly started telling him everything that happened and he was taken by surprise.

"i'll tell you what, how about we fast and pray until we get the answers we need" he  suggested after i finally finished.

"alright thank you baby" i said pecking him on the lips. "you're very welcome" he replied bringing me into a hug that was very much needed.