get away

|karen| "shush up with all that noise yall, matter a fact go to sleep why are y'all even up?" i asked the kids looking back at them seeing the smirks on each of their faces.

"cause we not sleepy auntie" kash whined kicking her feet back and forth.

"yeah, where are we even going nana?" kali tagged on. the two were like two peas in a pod.

"we're going away from home for a little while... why?" i asked wondering why they had so many questions.

"because it's boringgggg" kash said with her lip poked out.

"yeah it's boring, can i watch a movie on your phone?" the other one asked.

"no, you can watch the back of your eyelids though" i said with a smile before turning back around turning over to see drew driving.

"you look so sexy when you driving, you know that?" i asked him just loud enough for only him to hear..  i placed a hand on his shoulder waiting for him to respond.

"well thank you hunny" he said taking a minute to look over at me sending chills down my spine.

my face soon dropped remembering why we were even in the van to begin with. "what's wrong sweetie?" drew asked lowly with a concerned look on his face.

"it's just that we fought so hard to get dee with us safely and now look.. are we even doing the right thing? could this have all been avoided?" i asked him turning my attention to the window beside me.

"God's got us, don't even worry about it" he simply replied placing his hand on my thigh.

"Ew y'all nasty" doe's voice rung out through the van causing everyone to erupt in laughter.

"Shut up, why didn't greg come doe?" I asked her looking back.

"He was caught up at the church.. you know how it gets every year around this time." She said and i nodded understanding his reasoning.

"Sorry we kind of rushed y'all, we had to get everyone out of there who's been seen in public with dee" i explained.

-1 hour later -

We pulled into the driveway of the two floored house that we bought a while back.. just for situations just as this one.

We paid the bills every month so all we had to do was settle in. The babies were put to bed and the rest of us including my sisters, our kids and dee sat in the kitchen.

|deaja| we all sat around the dining room table in silence leaving room for my thoughts to take over me.

"so we gon sit in silence to let my thoughts eat at me? what's the matter?" I spoke up looking around.

"I don't know, somethings off about him.. i've been trying to make it out all evening. in my psychology class they talked about how if you're in jail for any amount of time that leaves room for you to lose your mind which is common sense to any one of us... but i don't know this isn't sitting right with me.. it's as if he wanted us to get out of town.. but for what?" kierra finished ranting about her observations.

"Now that I think about it when he was out at home he did use to read all these weird books but I never understood them.." I replied putting two and two together.

"Wait a minute.. what time is it?" Nikkia asked looking over for someone to answer her question.

I powered on my phone and looked at the time and when I did my heart skipped a few beats.

"It's ten o'clock." I said lowly trying to calm myself down.

Just as everyone turned on there phones to make sure I was playing some sort of trick uncs phone started ringing.

Like before he put the phone on speaker and sat it down on the table.

"Hi is this bishop john drew sheard?" A male voice asked from the other end of the line.

"This is he" he simply replied.

"So I'm standing outside of your church greater  emmanuel and sir.. I don't know how to say this but it's in flames.. uncontrollable ones at that. your church is gone" he said in a tone that nobody could make out.

"You-" he took a deep breath before finishing. "Was there anyone in there?" He finished after gathering his words.

"No sir.. to my understanding the church was locked up so how it went into flames I have no idea" he explained making me roll my eyes.

"Excuse me sir but do you know anything tonight? You would think if your making this call you'd know the details before calling someone about this sorta thing." Unc drilled into him making us all snicker quietly.

"How about this? I'll call you whenever the flames are down." The man tried to rush out.

"No it's okay, I'll give my good friend down at the firehouse a call. Thank you" he said before ending the call.

"I'm tired, I'm finna go to bed" I said covering my hand over my mouth while yawning.

"Yeah same" pretty much everyone said getting up from their seats.

Everyone except jdrew.

"What are you doing j?" Auntie Karen asked him as he sat there tapping his fingers on the table repeatedly.

"I'm not gonna go to sleep right now, what if something happens and we're all sleep? It's too risky" he tried reasoning but auntie wasn't having it.

"No you will be going to sleep, get up and don't make me have to tell you again." She said sternly.. clearly tired of his shenanigans.

He huffed and got up from his seat going up the stairs to find his room.

"I'll take the room down here" i said going into the very spacious room.

I laid down and as soon as my head hit my pillow I was out.

I was awaken by the feeling of someone watching me. I sat up and looked around to find nothing.

"Maybe I'm trippin" i said to myself laying back down... before something caught my eye in the window.

I sat up straight and stood to my feet.. I focused in on the window and the moment I made out the weirdo in the window i jolted out the room crying running into auntie karens room.

"Auntie" I cried shaking her waiting for her to wake up.. instead I cried harder still waiting. "Get up please" I pleaded her and she did.

"Dee what you doing? Why you crying what's wrong baby?" She rushed out grabbing my cheeks.

"There's- so-someone outside my- my window" I broke out feeling myself start to hyperventilate meaning I was starting to have a panic attack.

"Calm down breathe for me.. come on dee" she said before waking up unc telling him to get everyone and tell them to come in here immediately.

After three minutes everyone came in here with worried and confused looks on their faces.

"Come on yall.. grab covers and pillows and the non perishable foods and follow me. Hurry up" she rushed them along.

While they did that auntie jacky sat with me to try and help calm me down. After five minutes everyone was up on their feet following uncle drew to this closest that had a door inside of it.. only it didn't look like a door. It looked exactly like the wall it was built into. And inside was a whole room with a bathroom and everything..

"This was for when I needed to get away but I guess we have to use it for now." Unc said taking a seat.

"Well is someone going to tell us why were in here?" Jay said looking around.

I decided I would be the one to break it to everyone.

"they found us"