gift

|karen| today is the morning after deaja came to stay with us, everything has been going smoothly.. she's more of an independent person due to how long she had to take care of herself.

I sat at the side of the bed looking out the window sighing before I woke Drew up. It was a Sunday which meant we had church.

I went over to drews side of the bed and repeatedly left kisses all over his face causing him to stir out of his sleep. "Good morning honey, you gotta get up." I stated before checking myself in the mirror making sure I didn't look to crazy.

I dragged myself downstairs cause I wasn't in a rush.. it was only eight o'clock so I had time to spare. I knocked on the door before opening up and to my surprise deaja was already awake straightening up.

"Good morning sweetie" I said giving her a soft smile. "Good morning auntie" she replied with a closed lip smile.

"I'm sorry, I forgot to let you know that we had church today, do you have anything to wear?" I asked hoping she did.

"Yes ma'am I have a few dresses I could pick from." She said shuffling around the room. "How are you settling in?" I asked not sure of how to make conversation.

"I'm doing good.. last night was the first night I slept in weeks.. I'm usually awake scared of who may walk in the hotel room." She said laughing nervously.

My heart ached for her.. I was speechless. If only I could've gotten to her sooner then we could've avoided all of this.

Shaking out of my thoughts I came back to reality. "I'm glad you slept good, you can help yourself to something in the kitchen.. No telling how long we'll be." I stated watching her body language.

"Alright I'll be up shortly" she said before turning to dig in her toiletries bag. I turned on my feet and headed upstairs to get ready.

We arrived at church and I took deaja to my office just because I knew how the people can be. Just nosy for no apparent reason.

We talked for a little bit because we didn't have to be up in the sanctuary for about another thirty to thirty five minutes.

"The rest of your aunts are here because they knew you would be here.. meet me by my office after service okay?" I asked as we gathered our things heading towards the sanctuary.

"Yes ma'am I will." She said smiling from ear to ear. She's such a sweet spirit.. just like her mama. I watched ki call dee to sit beside her and I took my seat in the pulpit.

I knew Dorinda was behind me without her saying anything. I suddenly felt her bony hand grip my shoulder. I shot my head around giving her a look.

"Dorinda if you don't sit your small self down." I said scolding her.. she let out a giggle and took her seat right beside me.

"So that's her?" She asked turning her attention to where deaja and kierra sat. "Yep that's our niece" I said looking up to elder adams doing the call to worship.

Service went by smoothly Drew did his thing as usual. I was already in my office with the rest of my sisters except doe. Typical that she would be the last one.

|deaja| i was on my way to my aunts office until a member stopped me asking questions that were none of her business.

I sat and stared at this woman for about ten minutes just giving her a look as she ran her mouth. I looked up to see a familiar face..

Aunt dorinda walked up to where I was standing shaking her head. "deaja there you are we've been looking for you." She said giving the lady a look.

"I'm sorry I was a little caught up." I said not sure on how to say this lady wouldn't leave me alone. "Well it's time to go come on." She said grabbing me by my arm.

"Thank you so much" I said honestly feeling thankful that she saved me from that situation. "No problem, she has a runny mouth" she said locking her arm into mine.

"Well as you may know I'm dorinda but to you im auntie dorinda or auntie doe it doesn't really matter to me... has anybody told you that you look like me when I was your age?" She asked looking me in my eyes.

"Yes ma'am, kierra and auntie karen have said so a couple times.. I see it." I said.. you would think I'm her daughter if you didn't know me.

We entered into the office I left this morning to a room full of familiar faces.. well familiar from a far. Everybody knew them.. wether you listened to gospel music or not. They were legends and I'm glad I was apart of the bloodline.

I was met with a lot of smiles from everybody. They seemed as if they were waiting for me to introduce myself so I gathered my words and let them out.

"Hi my name is deaja but you can call me dee and I'm fifteen"

"Hey dee dee" aunt jacky yelled out in a loud manner. "I'm calling you that from now on okay?" She asked I nodded my head never hearing that name before but it stuck.

"Hey I'm twinkie" a small woman let out from her seat. "Hi, nice to meet you" I said taking her hand shaking it softly.

"I see you already met your twin dorinda" aunty Karen said. "Yeah i did" I said softly looking her in the face. "What's the matter?" She asked I noticed her tone switch to a serious one.

"I'm fine." I said trying to convince her that I was alright. "No she not, debbie was running her ear off harassing her like she didn't have no sense."

"I'll make sure to let Drew know about it." Aunty karen said giving an "I'm sorry" look nod and all I could do was nod my head back.

"So, can you sing or what?" Dorinda asked from the other side of the room. If I was white my cheeks would be red as can be. "Dorinda why would you ask that girl that?" Twinkie asked. It was clear she was tickled by the hand over her mouth.

"I don't think so." I said not wanting to make a fool of myself. I could think I can sing to myself but compared to them. I sound like a dying cat.

"Let us hear something." Aunty jacky chimed in.. I closed my eyes and opened my mouth belting out "his eye is on the sparrow."

|karen| i sat there in awe of the voice dee had on her. The amount of rasp and smoothness in her voice did it for me.

By the time she was done she opened her eyes to not a dry eye in the room. "Im sorry y'all I got lost in the moment I was only supposed to sing one verse." She said dropping her head.

I walked over and lifted her head with my pinky adjusting her head to look me face to face. "Listen baby, you have a voice and I mean that.. don't be ashamed to use the gift God gave you cause as fast as he gave it he can take it away quicker." I said really hoping what I said seeped into her spirit.

"Yes ma'am I understand." She said using her hand to wipe the fallen tear. "Okay y'all stop doing all that crying come on and let's go eat." I said calling up Drew telling him to get the kids.

Today was a successful day, I felt good about the future including deaja... but only time could tell wether or not things would go the way I want.