Chapter 37

Emily's POV

I woke up to the muffled voices of my parents arguing in the living room. I've been home for less than a week and they're already fighting. I can't deal with any more drama. Like, seriously? I feel like I've been living in a TV show or something honestly. 

Typically, I would try to eavesdrop to hear what they're saying, but at this point, I could care less. I  just really miss my fucking boyfriend. I'd kill to hear Isaac's voice again. I suppose I kind of messed up with the whole 'I'll give you space thing'; I haven't heard from him for a bit, but I know we'll be alright. When I'm away from him, I still feel our connection for some reason. It's like random butterflies in my stomach sometimes, even when I'm not thinking about him. Just can't escape the weird crap that's been going on lately. 

While my parents were still arguing, I slightly opened my door and quietly tiptoed to the kitchen to make myself some breakfast. I heard them coming my way. I can't catch a break, can I? 

"Oh, there you are, Ems. Why didn't you say good morning?" my dad asked. "Well, it sounded like you and mom were... busy. I didn't want to disturb you." I replied, looking at both my parents. 

Cue awkward silence. My mom and dad looked at each other before my mom let out a sigh. "Are you going to tell her, Andrew? Or should I?" Whatever they have to say wouldn't surprise me at this point. What is it this time? Divorce, another baby werewolf, reptile people are real? 

"Emily, you should probably sit down," my dad told me. "Hm, I think I'll stay standing up for this conversation," I said. 

"Now is not the time for sassiness." my mom said. I rolled my eyes. "Well, spill the beans. What is going on?" 

"You won't be seeing your sister anytime soon. She left a note in Maxine's crib. Avery was able to make contact with her pack and they are leaving California." my dad told me. Once again, not surprised. "I'm sorry Emily. I know how much you love your sister." Love isn't exactly the word that I would use to describe how I feel about Avery anymore. If anything, I felt bad for my parents. I could see the sadness in their eyes.

I looked at them and shrugged while I ate my cereal. "Well, what about Maxine? Is she upstairs in the nursery?"

My parents looked at me with almost... shock? "Did you not just hear what your father said?" my mom asked me. "Of course I heard him, mom. She's left us before and I'll be fine. Honestly, I'm more concerned about the baby." 

My mom looked worried. "Well, I'm sure that she will reach out to us eventually. Maxine is upstairs sleeping." 

Before anyone could say anything, I heard a cellphone ring. It wasn't mine because I left it in my room. "Uh, anyone going to answer that?" I asked. "Yeah, give me a minute. I have to answer this." my dad told my mom and me before stepping into another room. Now he looked more worried than my mom and I combined. 

I walked out of the kitchen to grab my phone. I had missed calls from Stiles, Scott, and Isaac. What the hell is going on? I went into panic mode and called Isaac back. Straight to voicemail. 

"Hey Isaac, I just got your call. Family stuff going on, but I'll fill you in later- not too eventful. Call me back, please. I miss you." 

I called Stiles next and it went to voicemail too. Seriously? 

A few seconds later, I got a text from Stiles before I could even call Scott. 

"cant talk rn. i got the aux and playing some jams. btw if u called Isaac, his phone died"

I was oddly relieved. At least nothing bad or serious is going on. No point in replying really if they're just playing music. 

My dad barged into my room looking scared. "Emily, we all need to talk again. I think this is more serious than Avery leaving." Really, universe? I can't have few minutes of peace alone? 

I followed him as he ran into the kitchen. "Laura, it is happening- just like we talked about." I definitely was out of the loop, but then again, how worse could this be? "Uh, what is happening?" I asked. 

"Emily, you need to tell us if you have ever heard of a man in Beacon Hills named Doctor Deaton." My dad said. "Yeah, Scott worked for him. Why?" I asked, confused. What is my dad's deal with a vet?

My dad looked like he was sweating. "Laura? Where are you?" He asked, looking in nearby rooms. "Shhh, Andrew. I was making sure Maxine was still asleep. What is going on with you?" My mom said, coming down the stairs. 

"Someone knows. Possibly this Deaton guy in Beacon Hills, but there have been rumors circling around for over a decade. It could be anybody." If I had a Sharpie, I would simply write question marks on my forehead at this point. "I'm talking worst-case scenario." My dad told my mom. 

My parents looked at me. I guess I'll break the silence? "Does, uh, someone know about the cure? Because I only told Isaac." I told my parents. 

"We really fucked up, Andrew." My mom said, running her fingers through her dyed brown hair. "We said this wouldn't happen." Well, they ignored my question. 

Hello? I am literally in the same room. "I guess I'll go upstairs and watch the baby?" I asked, slowly retreating out of the room. 

"No, you have to stay." my mom told me. "About the cure... we've used it on a baby before." Woah, Woah, why is this a secret? "Um, who?" I asked. 

"It was you." my dad told me. My jaw dropped. I was at a loss for words. So I didn't say anything. "The cure, it doesn't work for everyone. It failed your sister. Once we saw success for you, we had high hopes that it would turn Avery human." 

I wanted to scream and cry. I ran out of that room as fast as I could. I was resented by my own sister for something that I didn't do. Avery left our family out of spite. 

My parents chased after me, but before they got the chance to talk to me, the doorbell rang. The voices of Scott, Stiles, and Isaac were chanting my name outside of the front door. "Emily, Emily, Emily! Open up, we know you're in there!"