Chapter 21

"Come on, Emily. Let's get out of here." Isaac said softly. "Don't let Jackson get to you."

I could hear Scott and Stiles yelling at him in my defense as we opened the front door.

"Dude, don't talk to my cousin like that!"

"Emily didn't even know that this would happen!"

I took a deep breath before walking out. It was relieving to know that the boys are on my side, but that didn't change how guilty I felt.

I looked at my phone to check the time. It was almost 12 a.m on a school night. We got inside my car. I didn't want to go back home without an excuse. I mean Aunt Melissa isn't my mom so she can't really ground me. What's the worst that could happen?

"What should I tell my Aunt Melissa?"

"The truth. That we were at Jackson's."

"Okay yeah- what about when she asks why we were there in the first place? She's probably going to think we were partying there. Or even worse, that I was alone with him." The thought of being with Jackson grossed me out a bit.

"Hm say your car broke down."

I thought for a minute. It would be too obvious if I were to say Scott was with me.

"Alright I'll use that one. Scott's going to have to come up with his own excuse." I said as I started the car.

Ugh I didn't want to lie to Melissa, especially after everything she has done for me. I would tell her the truth, but Scott has to be the one to tell her.

I really don't know what I'm going to do with all of this knowledge when I leave Beacon Hills- that is if I leave. I used to think of being sent here as some evil punishment, but now I wouldn't want it any other way. Today, I started questioning if I should stay in Beacon Hills or leave for college. Part of me thought it would be silly to stay home for a boy. But being here- with Isaac, is the happiest I'll ever be.

Sometimes I feel like my parents make all the big decisions in my life. I never have a say in anything when it comes to them- but I'll definitely make my own decisions now. I am done being the family pushover.

The car ride was quiet. He could tell that I could use some time to process the situation.

I parked the car and looked at Isaac.

"Hey, everything is going to be alright, you know?" He told me.

"I'm not so sure about that."

"I will protect you at all costs. You know that." He said, nudging me with a smile.

"That's the thing though Isaac. I want to be able to protect myself. In... the same way that you protect me." I said, hesitantly.

He looked away from me. He knew exactly what I was referring to. "You don't want this type of life. Scott would agree. I thought it was fun in the beginning, but it eventually becomes a burden. Being a werewolf sucks. You are perfect the way you are, Emily. And if you were to take the bite, you could potentially die. No way am I risking that." He told me, staring through the window.

I hadn't really thought about death. I don't want to die so young. I would be robbed of my future with Isaac.

He turned around. "Come on Ems, say something." He said, grabbing my hand.

"No, you're right. I guess I'm just jealous of what you can do. I don't know. This is probably just an impulse thing." What if it isn't? I want to find my sister on my own, but I know it will be faster to find her if we work as a team. I feel like I'm not contributing enough. I started this mess and I should clean it up.