Chapter 36

I felt uneasy while walking into Deaton's. What if he says something bad about the cure? What if there isn't a cure? I don't know- just a ton of 'what if's ran through my head. My anxiety was through the roof too. And Stiles made it even worse. 

"What are we even doing at Dr. Deaton's, Scott?" Stiles asked before we went in. "I think he's scared of us or something nowadays. Like, does he know that we're coming?"

"Don't worry about it dude, Isaac just has a quick question for him," Scott replied, keeping a calm attitude. 

Stiles blocked the door. "Um... 'quick question'?" He asked. "Does Deaton not have a phone? It's not like the FBI are tapping our phones, so tell me what's going on. I just... feel like something about this late-night meeting is sketchy. And if it's a wolf thing, why isn't the rest of the pack here?" He asked, looking at Scott and me.  

I don't mind Stiles... you know, being Stiles. But moments like this piss me off. "Look man, it's a personal thing for me. You'll get filled in once we get inside." Stiles narrowed his eyes. "Hmm. Well, you two obviously left me out of whatever conversation led us here." All I could think of was pushing him out of the way and walking in before Deaton sees us out here. "Stiles, move before I shove you," I said. I just know this entire visit is going to be annoying with him here unless he keeps his mouth closed. 

"Wow, okay. No need to involve violence." He said, with his hands up, walking away from the door leading to Deaton's. "I just think that it's super unfair that both of you know something that I don't. Like, we're 'BFFs'- since when did we start keeping secrets from each other?" Ugh. Stalling, stalling, stalling. I'm definitely feeling those anger issues that Emily mentioned. Or maybe I'm just moody. I can't tell the difference between the two sometimes. 

"Alright, I don't know about the two of you, but I'm going in for a quick chat," I said, approaching the door. "If you really want to know what this is about, Stiles, you better keep your mouth shut," Scott said, backing me up. 

I opened the door and saw the dim lights flicker a bit. If I listened hard enough, I could hear some of the animals. This place is so dull- I don't know how Scott can tolerate working here. I nudged Scott, "Hey, can you like, let him know we're here?" I whispered to him. He looked at me and nodded. 

"Dr. Deaton? Its Scott. I hope you don't mind, but my friend and I have some have some questions for you." I heard some shuffling coming from a room in the back and footsteps came our way after Scott called for him. Let's see what Deaton has in store for us today. 

Dr. Deaton looked at the three of us and put on a fake smile. "Hello, nice to see you at such an odd hour." He said, looking at Scott. "What brings you here tonight? I feel that I should also add to your friends that I am not currently hiring. So if that was your question, I hope that answers it." He looked visibly uncomfortable, mostly by me, I'm assuming. 

"You can calm down, Deaton," Scott told him. "Let's go into a room and talk. My friend Isaac and I have some questions for you," he said, introducing me. Deaton looked a bit more comfortable now. "Ah, I see. It's that kind of business you came here to talk about. Follow me." He said as he led us to an exam room. 

He looked at us and closed the door. This began to feel kind of sketchy. If I were to ever buy drugs or something, I'd imagine that it would be exactly like this. I want to make this quick so I can get some answers, even if they aren't the ones I want. "I guess I'll cut to the chase: is it possible to turn a werewolf back to a human?" I bluntly asked. Stiles's eyes turned wide. "We'll talk about it later," I said to Stiles. Deaton slowly shook his head at me. "Unless there is some magic medical cure out there, I have to say no. However, everyone thought that the existence of werewolves was impossible, so I don't see why a cure would be out of the question." He said with a shrug. "My answer is only based on experience and research." He told us. "But this stays between the four of us." 

I began to feel some type of relief. Or maybe happiness. A cure for wolves is actually out there. And I can be the first one to take it. Scott didn't look completely sold. "Well, say this type of cure actually exists... would there be any type of side effects or dangers?" He asked. Deaton was going to speak, but hesitated. There was a split second of silence. "You know, I once thought about creating some type of cure that you are speaking about. But I figured that it would be best not to mess around with mother nature." Well, so much for that relief I was talking about. The more and more I looked at Deaton, the more I could tell he was withholding something. I just don't know what. 

"You never answered the question though." I told Dr. Deaton. "I know for a fact that this cure exists, and I want to take it. I just want to know if it will work. Also, as far as I know, I'm the only wolf who wants to take it." I said as he suddenly got tense and crossed his arms. 

He finally broke his silence as he looked at the floor. "It could work. As for side effects, I don't know. You'd be taking your chances, Isaac- you could have memory issues, sudden health conditions, and so much more. I guess best case scenario is that you come out a healthy human without any complications." Now this is what I want: to be a healthy human with the girl he loves. It didn't seem like Deaton was done speaking though. "I do not know how likely that is. If I were you, I would talk to whoever created this cure before you decide to do anything." 

I felt everyone's eyes on me telling me not to take it. Maybe not Stiles though, I think he would want me to do whatever makes me happy. That's just the type of guy he is. 

"Got anything else to ask, Isaac?" Scott asked me. "I feel like we got what we came here for." 

I replayed the entire conversation and there seemed to be one question that had yet to be asked. "So, you haven't heard of any wolves returning to their human state? Even failed ones?" I asked. 

Deaton sighed. "Once. In San Diego, there was a failed attempt. Probably 20 or so years ago- very young girl. Rumor has it, she's still alive. However, that is not even the oddest part of this story: she was born a wolf. Well, at least that is what my sources tell me. Not sure how accurate this information is."

Stiles, Scott and I all looked at each other. It was Emily's family. It has to be. 

"Thanks for your time, Dr. Deaton, but we gotta run." I said. "We're going on a road trip."