chapter 9

"Once again, he's probably just at home." I said. "Have you even tried calling him?"

"We don't have his number." Stiles said.

I pulled out my phone, dialed his number, and handed the phone to Scott.

"You gave him your number?" Scott asked.

"No, he gave me his number." I explained, smirking.

Scott rolled his eyes.

"Seems like everybody's all over you, Emily."  He said.

Before I could respond, Scott gave me back my phone.

"He's not answering." He said.

"Can you call Derek?" Stiles asked.

"Who's Derek?" I asked.

"He's the alpha of our pack." Scott replied.

"Oh, you have a pack." I said, giggling. "That's cute. I feel like I'm in a Twilight movie."

Scott just glared at me.

After a moment, he asked Stiles to talk to him. They whispered something to each other and glanced toward me.

When their conversation was over, they walked back towards me.

"Stiles is taking you home while I go look for Jackson." Scott announced.

"You can't go out looking for him alone!" I said.

"I have some friends. You and Stiles will stay at home, while I go out." Scott said. "Understood?"

"Fine, whatever. Try not to get killed." I said.

When we got to the house, I overheard Melissa talking to someone on the phone. We stood in the living room, while she spoke.

"Yes, Laura, she's doing fine." She said. "She's actually made quite a few friends. I think she's adjusting well... Is she home? I'm not sure... Yeah, hold on, I'll check."

"Do you know who she's talking to?" Stiles asked.

Before I could respond, Melissa walked out of her room.

"Oh what do you know, she's right here." She said into the phone. "It's your mom. She wants to talk to you."

"Um, alright." I said, taking the phone from her.

I took a deep breath.

"Hey, mom." I said.

"Hi, honey. Your Aunt Melissa has been telling me you've been adjusting well. How are you?"

My mom never talked to me like this. Since when does she ask how I am?

"I'm good. Things were are... interesting, but I guess I'll get used to it. It's a lot different."

"Oh, that's wonderful. Now, I hear you've made some friends."

"Yes, I did, actually. Why do you ask?"

"Well, I think it's only polite if you and your friends come over for dinner on Friday evening. Your father and I actually leave that night for his business trip. Meaning, you and your friends can have the house to yourselves for the weekend." She said.

"You- you want me to come home?" I asked, shocked.

"Well, it's only for the weekend." She said. "You don't have to come. It's your choice."

"Well, in that case, I'll check with my friends."

"Alright. Goodbye, dear, I hope to see you on Friday."