Chapter 41

ONE YEAR LATER

Things started to become routine after leaving California. Grabbing a coffee on the way to class with Stiles, my roommate leaving our dorm a mess, and pulling all-nighters writing essays were things that I got used to. I can't say that it's super fun, but it's something new.

"Ya know Emily, I'm glad you pushed me to apply to a college in a big city. I didn't think I had the grades to get in, but here we are!" Stiles said as we walked through Central Park.

"I mean, it took a lot of tutoring and convincing your dad, but I'm pretty sure it was worth it," I told him. How Stiles got into Columbia is beyond me. Six other people from our high school applied, and somehow, only he and I got accepted. No complaints on my end, though.

"Yeah, he was not happy about me moving across the county. However, he was pretty sold after I convinced him that I won't get attacked by a 'wild animal' out here." He said with a chuckle.

"Speaking of wild animals, I kinda wish Scott was here with us. He'd have so much fun." I said.

"Me too, but he was always set on staying in Beacon Hills. The last time I visited, he seemed pretty happy, though." Stiles told me.

There was a quick moment of silence. Whenever we rehash memories from Beacon Hills, things can get awkward pretty fast. I think we're still trying to adjust to a world where we can pretend that werewolves and all things supernatural don't exist in New York City.

"So, are you still trying to get that apartment in the Upper West Side next year?" He asked, changing the topic.

"I don't know. It was a bit expensive, but there was also that two-bedroom studio I liked. You could always move in and be my roomie." I said, giving him a bump on the arm.

He stopped walking, staring at me. "Emily, I have girls crawling over me on campus. You are insane if you think I'm leaving the dorms next year." He told me, baffled that I would suggest such a thing. "Besides, you already have a future roomie," Stiles said, nodding forward to Isaac.

Isaac gave me a hug and a kiss. "Jesus, what took you guys so long?" He asked us.

"Ask him," I said, pointing at Stiles while he smiled at his phone.

"Fine, fine, I made Emily go on a Starbucks run with me." He said, finally looking up at us. "A lady friend suggested that I try the 'pink drink.'" He told us, holding up his drink. "It's not a crime to enjoy the simple pleasures in life."

"Okay, that's fair. I did try their matcha latte for the first time last week." Isaac said, looking a bit embarrassed. "Not going to lie, it was pretty good."

"Alright, enough with the Starbucks talk. Where are we getting food?" I said, chiming in.

"Actually, I gotta go. Another lady friend asked me to come over to her dorm." Stiles said, putting away his phone with a smile. "Her roommate is gone for the weekend."

"Serena from the 7th floor again?" Isaac and I asked simultaneously.

Stiles gave us a smirk. "Spot on. I'm starting to think you two were really made for each other." He said, slowly walking back to campus. "Also, you guys really need to start checking the group chat more often. Scott just gave us huge news!" Stiles shouted from a distance.

Isaac and I sat together on a park bench, pulling out our phones. "Woah, Scott is really considering it. I thought he loved being a... you know, wolf." I said, surprised by his text.

"Oh, he does. But remember that night at the bonfire?" Isaac asked.

I bit my lip, trying not the smile. "Of course I do."