chapter 8

I woke up in the morning with a note next to my pillow. Well, it's no surprise he left, considering Melissa must have come home from her late shift at the hospital. 

Sorry for leaving. Melissa came home and you looked so peaceful sleeping. Didn't have the heart to wake you up to say goodbye. See you at school.

Issac

I smiled, remembering last night. My last memory of it was falling asleep next to Isaac while watching television. Then I remembered what he was actually here for. Scott. 

I ran down the hallway towards his room. Not bothering to knock, I opened the door and barged into his room. There he was, sleeping in his bed. 

I ran over to him and hit him on the head with a pillow.

"There you are." I said. "Do you have any idea how worried Isaac and I were about you?"

He groaned.

"Go away Emily." He told me.

"No, Scott." I said, seriously. "You can't just run off like that. Knowing what you are... makes me scared about the things that could happen to you. You don't understand how it feels to be an outsider looking in. Knowing I can't help."

"Then don't." He said, coldly. "It was a full moon, Emily. I have no control over what happens to me. Luckily, a few friends of mine found me before I could harm anyone."

"What do you mean you have no control over it?" I asked.

"I have no control over what happens to me on full moons. Doesn't that explain it enough?" He said. "Listen, it's early and we have to get ready for school. Can this wait until later?"

"But Isaac was fine last night."

"Oh he can control himself. He's a weird wolf. How long was he here, by the way?"

"I don't know. As soon as Melissa came home. He stayed even though I fell asleep." I said.

"Wait. Was he like... in your bed?" He asked.

"Uhhh.. no comment." I said, quickly walking out of his room.

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me back in.

"I'm so going to kill him." He said.

I laughed at him.

"Oh come on, it wasn't like that. We just hung out and watched tv and stuff."

"And what 'stuff''?"

"Oh calm down, Scott." I said.

"He likes you, you know."

"Yes, I actually do know."

"Well if he tries to pull something, let me know." He told me.

"And what if I let him?" 

"Don't tell me you like him back."

"And what if I do? What are you going to do about it?" I asked.

"Don't you get it?!" He almost shouted.

I sat down on the chair next to his desk.

"What am I supposed to get?"

"You're supposed to be with Stiles. Or some other human boy. Not Isaac. He is NOT right for you, Emily."

"Because he's a wolf?" I asked. "That doesn't change anything Scott."

"It changes everything! You're human. He's a wolf. It's not going to work."

"Oh really? Tell me about your relationship with Allison." I said. "Oh wait, she's human and you're a wolf."

"Don't you dare bring her into this."

"Why not? My situation is almost identical to yours."

"Emily, I'm warning you."

"Oh, please, Scott. Tell someone who cares. You aren't my dad. Isaac makes me happy. And if I want to like him, I will like him."

I got up and walked out the door. Unfortunately, he followed me.

"I may not be your father, but I sure as hell will tell him about Isaac, unless you do what I say."

"Like my parents really give a shit about what I'm doing right now. Do you even know why I came here?"

He looked at me and shook his head.

"You never gave a reason why."

"Exactly. My parents forced me to move here. If it was up to me, I wouldn't even be here. But they didn't want me at home, and you and Melissa are all I have left. So just let me live my life. Because in a year I'll be gone and out of your way. Ok?" I said.

"Wait, why didn't they want you there?" He asked.

"Because I 'didn't fit in with the family' according to them. They're rich snobs and I'm just... me. So they pretty much just told me to leave and come back whenever I was ready to be a 'respectable member of the family'. Whatever that means."

"So you plan on going back?"

"No." 

"Why not?" He asked.

"Can you just let it go?" I asked. "I told you why I'm here, now leave me alone."

For the rest of the day, I ignored Scott at school. He didn't deserve my attention anyway. Not after this morning.

I let out a sigh as I grabbed my things and shut my locker. Isaac was leaning against the locker next to mine, gazing at me.

"You're upset." He said. 

"How'd you know?" I asked.

"You haven't said a word to anyone all day. You haven't smiled. You aren't yourself." He stated. "Wanna talk about it?"

 I shook my head to say no.

"Alright. Well, I gotta head home." He said. "I'll call you later, ok?"

"Wait." I said. "Where do you live, anyway?" I asked curiously.

"Oh, uh, I- I live with a um- I live with a friend." He answered uncomfortably.

"You know, if you wanted, you could probably stay at my place. I'm sure Melissa would be more than happy." 

He smiled.

"I'll keep that in mind."

Before leaving school, Scott and Stiles ran up to me. I ignored Scott, but greeted Stiles.

"Hey." I said, smiling.

"You have history with Jackson, right?" Scott asked.

"Sorry, not talking to you." I replied, coldly.

"Emily, this is important. You can be mad at me all you want later, but we really need your help right now. I'm serious." He said.

"Fine, what is it?" I asked.

"Was Jackson in history class today?" Stiles asked.

"No, why?" I asked.

"Oh, jeez, this is bad." Stiles said, pacing around us.

"What's the big deal? He probably cut class, or is sick."

"Yeah, sick with a condition called werewolf." Stiles said.

"Doesn't answer my question. Why do you guys care so much?"

"Last night was the full moon." Stiles said.

"And now he's missing." Scott added.