chapter 11

I sat up in the sand, staring at him. I knew Isaac and Scott would never hurt me, but would Cody? He wasn't the same person as before. 

"You don't have any scars?" I asked, quietly.

He looked nervous once again.

"No, I have scars. I just- don't want to show you them."

"You're lying to me." I said. "Just how you lied about not knowing what attacked you. You saw it. And you know what it is."

"I don't know what you're talking about." He said, trying to act confused.

"Stop lying to me, and tell me what happened."

"I don't want to talk about it!" He shouted. His eyes flashed a yellow color, the same as Scott's and Isaac's.

I backed up, unsure of what he would do next. Immediately, his eyes stopped glowing.

"You're one of them." I said.

"I didn't mean to frighten you." He said, disappointed in himself.

I just looked at him, remaining silent.

"How do you know what I am?" He asked.

"My friends... they're wolves too." I said. "We can help you. Now can you tell me what happened?"

Cody's POV

I can't believe it. She's actually gone. When she told she was moving, I didn't believe it. And I still can't. How could she just leave me like that? Her family was just as messed up as mine, and we needed each other. But I guess she didn't need me as much I thought.

I've been walking for what felt like hours, not caring about where I would end up. I just hoped that somehow, we'd be together again. 

I looked up, taking in the light of the moon, somewhat covered by the trees in the forest. Suddenly, I heard movement behind me. Branches cracked, and there was a loud growl. Maybe I shouldn't have come out here.

I looked in the direction of the growl, expecting to see a dog or something. Instead, there was a beast towering over me. It looked like a wolf. I ran the opposite direction, but I wasn't fast enough. I tripped on a branch, hitting my head on the forest floor. Suddenly, it's sharp teeth bit into my side, and the amount of pain made me scream. I glanced at the bite, and there was blood everywhere. When I looked up, the wolf was nowhere to be found. I was certain I would die right here, in my own pool of blood.  Emily was the only thing I thought about. And then I blacked out.

When I opened my eyes, I was almost blinded with the bright lights. Everything was louder. This felt like a hangover, only 10 times worse. I couldn't tell where I was. My vision was distorted. Was I in the hospital?

"Doctor! He's awake!" I heard my mom say.

I sat up, trying to figure out why I was here. And then I remembered. The wolf- the bite- blacking out. It all made sense.

"Hi honey." My mom said, rushing to my bed. "We found you in the woods last night. You- you were in a pool of blood when they found you." She said, almost crying.

"Mom, I'm fine. Look at me, I'm alive." I said, even though I didn't believe my own words.

She ignored my comment, and continued on with her story.

"But when they checked for any wounds, there were none. They said you hit your head, and were left unconsious. But that still doesn't explain the blood. What happened last night, Cody?" She asked. "It's so unlike you to be all alone at that time of night. What were you thinking?"