Chapter 40

Isaac's POV

One moment, I'm falling asleep in Emily's arms, and now she, Stiles, and Scott are socializing with her parents and their chef in the kitchen. I feel like I'm at a party I wasn't invited to. Usually, I keep to myself outside of my social circle. I don't exactly want to out myself as a werewolf to anyone else. Still, everyone in the room is so comfortable talking about it as if it's normal.

I could sense Emily coming my way while I stared at the waves from the window in the dining room. "Hey, what are you doing all the way over here?" she asked, hugging me from behind.

It was hard not to smile. "Nothing. Just appreciating the view."

She grabbed my hand. "Well, don't be such an introvert. Come hang with us." Emily pleaded.

"Nah, I kinda want to stay here and look at the ocean," I told her.

"Why are you being so weird about this, Isaac? You can't just stand around and avoid everyone." She said, letting out a sigh.

"Have you ever thought that maybe it is weird? I do want to be a human again, but the way we're going about it doesn't really feel natural." I guess I wasn't expecting a flu shot as a cure after watching The Vampire Diaries with Emily.

She rolled her eyes and smiled. "What even is natural? We're not natural."

Just as we were about to look out the window together, something bothered me about that last sentence. "Wait, what do you mean by that?" I asked her. Emily looked anxious and nervous. It was almost like I could feel it too.

She looked around the room before leading me outside. "I have to tell you something, and I'm scared to because it's kind of a dealbreaker." Pacing around, she could barely look at me.

"You can tell me anything, Emily. We've been through hell together and at this point, nothing is a dealbreaker. I want you to."

"Th- the cure, it isn't what you think it is." She told me.

"Okay, uh, once again, what do you mean by that?" This has my interest, but I don't get why Emily is acting so weird about this. Does this have something to do with that fight with her dad earlier?

"It isn't actually a cure. It just stops you from turning or transforming. Like, you'd still be a werewolf technically." She said quietly, staring at the ground.

"Huh, I don't know why you guys would hide this from me. I mean, how do you even know that, though? I thought it was never used before." Well, that last sentence was a lie. Deaton told us that there was a failed attempt, but I don't want her to know that rumors are spreading up in Beacon Hills...

As soon as I looked at Emily, I noticed she was upset. "That's the thing, Isaac. It was hidden in plain sight. My parents... they used it on me after it didn't work for Avery." Cue plot twist. I was at a loss for words. This entire time... Emily is a werewolf?

She looked at me, tearing up. "I understand if you don't want to take it anymore. My parents... they weren't honest with me. That's what my dad and I were fighting about earlier." She hesitated before speaking again. "So, I guess I'm just a wolf stuck in my human form until I'm bitten."

I looked at her head to toe. She's the most honest person I know, but I can't help but think she's lying. "What do you mean by 'bitten'?" I asked.

"Well, right now, my werewolf persona is pretty much dormant. If you or Scott bite me, I'll be one of you again." She told me with a slight smile.

I feel like Emily is going through some dream state where everything is unicorns and rainbows when it comes to being a wolf. She's never gone through a full moon, chained up, and worried that she'll end up killing someone.

"No, Ems, not like that. I don't want to turn you. And I certainly don't want you to spend the rest of your life holed up in Beacon Hills. I'm tired of the chains every month. I'm taking the cure so I can be with you. I love you- wolf or not." I said to her.

I grabbed her and held her close as the sun began to set. "We're gonna be alright. I promise."

I heard footsteps coming our way. "Hey, you lovebirds, dinner is ready!"

Our moment was cut short when Emily's dad walked outside to call us for dinner. Honestly, I don't know what to call him. By his last name? Just 'Andrew'?

Emily looked at me and rolled her eyes. "Fine, we'll be there in a minute Dad." She said.

As she guided me back inside, my phone began to vibrate in my back pocket.

I swear if it's Allison again, I'm going to throw my phone into the ocean. I grabbed my phone and looked at the caller ID.

Ugh. It's Derek. Why is he calling me? I already told him I was spending the night somewhere else.

"Uh, Emily, I gotta take this call real quick. I'll meet you inside." I told her.

"Just don't take too long. I don't want you to miss out on all the food." She told me before going back indoors.

I finally answered Derek's call. "Hey, can this wait until tomorrow?" I asked. "I'm kinda at this party thing." I'm hoping I can end this call as soon as possible. I don't want to make a wrong first impression with Emily's parents.

"No, it can't. Where the hell are you, Isaac?" I could almost feel his anger through the phone.

"I told you earlier, I'm staying with a friend. Why do you care?" I never question him when he has girls over the minute I leave his place. He's like the foster brother I never wanted.

"I care because our friend Deaton paid me a visit earlier. I know everything." Fuck. "And whatever you're planning on doing, it isn't worth it."

Emily's POV

I kept looking at Isaac through the window. He seems pretty stressed out. I wonder who he's talking to because I'm getting a weird vibe from this phone call. I trust him enough to know that it isn't Allison. But... it would kind of explain him looking extremely uncomfortable.

Hopefully, he hangs up soon because everyone is in the dining room already. And I'm sure my dad is already mentally preparing whatever talk he will give Isaac about the cure. Probably the fine print he left out.

Marcus came up to me with a towel on his shoulder. "Emily, you have to introduce me to this boyfriend of yours after dessert." I let out a chuckle.

"Of course you will," I said with a smile. "Also, what's for dessert?" I asked out of curiosity. "Please tell me it's your signature apple pie. I've been craving it since I left."

Before he was about to answer my question, he hesitated, looking around the room. "I will tell you one thing though, I can already tell that tonight will be full of surprises. So why not make dinner a surprise too?" He told me with a shrug and a smile as he walked away.