Chapter 9

- I'm falling and I don't know when I'll hit the ground -

Mina POV

After dinner we went back to my apartment, our hands fit into each other. "Chaeyoung?" I pulled her aside. "You're not falling in love with me right?" I ask looking into her eyes, searching for an answer. "Are you?" She asks, giving a sly, teasing smile. "I'm serious." I take my hand out of hers. "Not yet." She says looking at her hand, the one that we held hands with. "It's one year and then we'll be off on our separate paths and never see one another again, so please don't." I could turn others down easily and could care less about how they feel, but for some reason, I don't think I could reject Chaeyoung that easily.

"No." She shakes her head and I tilt mine, confused. "I like you Minari, as a friend...for now," She said, stepping forward, embracing me into a melting hug. "So please, don't leave me, even when this is all over." She says, her head buried in my shoulder. "I...okay." I say, putting my arms around her. "Promise?" She looks up and our eyes meet again, her warm eyes melting my skyscraper walls. "Promise." I smile and she hugs tighter.

Feeling her warmth against mine, we stayed like that for a few more seconds until it was time to say goodbye.

- - -

I woke up at six like everyday, went on my morning jog and prepared for work. I put my hand on my elbow, reminiscing on last night, how her hug felt so soothing.

Chaengie: Good Morning my Minari!! Did you eat breakfast yet? <3

My phone lit up from a message. "Yes." I wrote back, even though I didn't, I had too much on my mind to eat. I sit at my desk to start the day, I read through my schedule, back to back meetings after lunch, I nod. It seems like a pretty normal and mellow day. "Ms. Myoui?" My assistant popped her head in. "Chaeyoung said to give this to you." She said, placing a bag on my table. "Thank you." I bow and she leaves.

"Don't lie to me Minari, you'll make me sad. Please remember to eat breakfast too!! Don't make me come over to your office and feed you."

A note wrote on top of a take-out box. I take out my phone and write to Chaeyoung;

Me: Thank you.

Chaengie: You better eat Minari!!

Me: I will, but how did you know I didn't have breakfast?

Chaengie: First of all, I know you and second, I asked your assistant.

Me: You don't have to look out for me Chaeyoung.

Chaengie: I know, I just don't want to see you skip meals...

Me: Fine.

Chaengie: Okay <3

I stare at my phone, the text, is she worried about me? My heart aches, my head swirls, my fingers yearning to hold hers. It's a feeling that I've never felt before, like butterflies in your stomach, but also in your heart. She can't make me feel this way...but why do I like it? I think to myself, brows furrowed.

I need to keep my distance, one wrong step and I'll be falling off a cliff and into her arms. No matter how much I long to feel the warmth of her arms around me, I could never jeopardize my work. She's the forbidden fruit in the tree, the only one that I want and the only one I can't have. We're Romeo and Juliet, but in the end, we are destined to fall.

Chaeyoung POV

I know I shouldn't but something inside me feels for her. Maybe it's my heart or maybe it's just a made up fantasy in my head...or maybe we are just meant to be.

Is this what romance feels like? Or is it just some kiddie crush children have on the playgrounds? I feel like something's missing without her by my side, that or I just feel empty every time someone leaves me.

"Tzuyu?" I look in her room and she's smiling on her phone. "S'up Chae." She says. "Wow, that's the most I've seen you smile, like ever." I say, patting her on the back, "It's nice." She chuckles, "Well, I guess that's love." She says. "Were you texting Sana?" I ask, she blushes and nods. "Why don't you two go on a date, it's not like you have anything else to do?" I suggest. "Ah, that's a great idea, I'll call her right now." She says getting up. "Oh, okay." I say finding myself alone, once again.

I stare at my phone, should I call Mina? She's busy, I shouldn't bother her, I turn it over. I sigh laying on the bed, reminiscing of the old times when I would go to the cafe to see my favorite unnie...but as all good things have come to an end, it came to an end.

- - -

I walk along the sidewalk, staring at the sky, at the trees, at the tall buildings full of busy workers. I guess I wasn't paying attention when, "Oh, I'm so sorry!" A voice says. I look down seeing coffee spilled on my shirt. "Ah, it's totally okay, I wasn't watching where I was going." I say, giving a smile. "Wait, you look familiar." I am trying to think where I've seen her before. "Ah! You were with Sana!" I say. "You know Sana too?" She asks. "Yeah, she's a friend." I say. "Well, any friend of Sana's is a friend of mine." She offers to shake my hand, "I'm Yeri." I take it, "I'm Chaeyoung."

"Would you like to grab some coffee with me?" She asks and I nod, "I would love to."

We walk to a nearby coffee shop and get to know each other better, it turns out that we have many things in common. "I'm so glad we bumped into each other, it was nice meeting you Yeri." I say and she smiles in agreement. "It was nice meeting you as well, let's hang out again sometime." She says and I smile as well. We exchange phone numbers and bid farewell. I return back to the hotel smiling at the thought of my new found friend.

I check my phone, no messages from Mina, she's probably really busy. Should I message her first? Maybe a message of encouragement would do, I think to myself. My phone rang.

Unknown Number: Hey Chaeyoung! It's Yeri hehe <3

My new friend.

Me: Hey Yeri!! Did you get back home yet?

Yeri: Yes! Did you?

Me: Yup!

I put my phone away and smile, "What are you smiling at?" Dahyun comes in. "You're back." I say. "Yeah, figured you'd be lonely and Momo-unnie is working." She says. "I met a new friend." I say and Dahyun sits next to me, "What about Mina?" She asks and I shrug. "She's probably working right now and I don't want to bother her." I say and lean back on the couch. "Aww, that's cute but I don't think she wouldn't mind if you went to say hi or sent a text." Dahyun says and I look at her confused. "What do you mean?" I ask. "I mean that it's okay to want to get closer to her more, you both are going to be living together for a year and it would be less awkward if you were more comfortable with each other." Dahyun explains. "Ah." I sigh. "Okay, I'll go pick her up from work and we could have dinner together." I smile standing up. "Ooh, like a date?" Dahyun wiggles her eyebrows. "Oh be quiet." I say, but some part of me hopes that it will be somewhat like a date.

- - - - -

Hey hey it's Pengu hehe. It seems that they both are confused about their feelings for each other. Chaeyoung found a new friend, maybe a new romance will form between the two? Who knows...anyways, hope you enjoyed this chapter!! - Pengu <3