Chapter 36 - Lost years

Troy's POV

"Look, she is there. My jewel." Romeo pointed to a little baby who was in an incubator. She was so tiny. "Meet your niece, Amber Valentina Wright." He said, full of emotions in his voice while his eyes were shining.

"She is so beautiful." I commented as I felt emotional.

"They will keep her here for a while. I am looking forward to holding her in my arms again." Romeo confessed without taking his eyes off his daughter.

I looked at her, smiling sadly as I thought about Alec. What did he look like when he was born? Was Rose's labour easy?

I clenched my fist while my heart ached. I pursed my lips together as my eyes welled up. Thinking how much time I missed from my son's life made my heart sink.

I averted my gaze and wiped my tears off my cheeks with the back of my hand.

"Hey, are you crying? Aww. My bro is emotional." Romeo teased me as he rested his hand on my shoulder.

"I thought about Alec." I confessed and heaved a sigh, closing my eyes. "I missed his birth. I couldn't hold him in my arms when he was born. I missed his first years, first steps, first words." I added, trying to control my voice, and looked at my niece sadly.

"Troy..." He gave me a sympathetic look as he squeezed my shoulder.

***

I was waiting for Rose and Alec in my penthouse; I invited them for lunch. After that, maybe we would go to the park or cinema.

I smiled happily as the elevator door opened and Rose and my son walked in. I approached them and greeted them with a hug and kiss on the cheek.

"Where is my gift?" Alec asked, excited.

"Alec!" Rose gave him a warning look. "I am sorry; he was so impatient after you had told him about your gift for him." Rose informed me.

"It is fine. Don't worry." I gave her a reassuring smile and ruffled my son's hair playfully. "It is in the bedroom. Go!" I told Alec cheerfully. He nodded, beaming, and ran towards my bedroom.

"How are Sienna and your niece?" She asked as we sat down on the couch.

"They are fine. Want to see our little Amber?" I gave her a bright smile and pulled my phone out of my pocket.

"Such a beautiful name!" She commented, smiling.

"Yes. Amber Valentina." I agreed and showed Rose my niece's photo.

"Aww! She is so cute." Rose exclaimed in awe as she placed her hand on my thigh while looking at the photo.

"Yes." I mumbled as sadness crossed my features. I cleared my throat and added gloomily. "How was Alec when he was born? I would give my everything to change the past and be beside you when our son was born."

"Troy..." She gave me a sympathetic look and squeezed my hand. I squeezed it back. "I wished you were with me when I was giving birth. When I was in the delivery room, I imagined that you were with me, holding my hand. I wished everything was different between us, and we shared that moment together." Rose confessed honestly, looking into my eyes without releasing my hand. She gave me a sad smile while her eyes welled up.

I pursed my lips together, trying to hold my tears back, and squeezed her hand tightly.

"When the nurse gave me Alec for the first time, I couldn't describe how it felt. It was... I had never felt that powerful and happy before. I felt I could do everything to protect him." She gave me a wide smile, full of emotions in her eyes as tears ran down her cheeks. "He was so tiny. So fragile. My little boy. When I took him in my arms, he held my finger tightly while crying loudly, like proving me his strength, telling me I am not fragile, but strong." She chuckled, amused.