Chapter 51 - The trick

Rose's POV

"What?!" I mumbled as my eyes widened in shock.

My mother sighed and resumed. "Steven went abroad for a meeting. He often traveled because of work in the first years of our marriage, leaving me alone. Our relationship changed after Kate's birth. He became so distant and cold towards me." She paused, breathing deeply, and ruffled her hair. "One time, when he was abroad again, my childhood friend and ex-boyfriend came to visit me. He was studying in Switzerland; we hadn't seen each other for a long time."

She pursed her lips as sadness crossed her features.

"He... he didn't look like Steven. He was a charming man. Funny, kind and affectionate... That night, we got drunk... then it happened..." My mother mumbled sorrowfully. "When I found out about my pregnancy, I didn't know what I would do..." She added, looking at me as she gave me a lazy smile. "When I told him, he was so happy and excited and asked me to come with him. He even told me he would accept Kate as his own daughter...." She paused as her voice cracked and a drop of tear ran down her cheek. "When we were going to meet up to discuss the details of how we would leave, he... When I called him after waiting for him in our meeting place, the police... picked up the phone and told me that... he... he had a car accident. He... died before the ambulance arrived." She pursed her lips together and wiped the tears off her cheeks with the back of her hand.

I squeezed Troy's hand unconsciously while trying to pull myself together. It was... a big shock for me. I didn't know what to say. I couldn't think straight. I closed my eyes for a second as I felt dizzy; fortunately, I was sitting.

"Thomas? I saw your photo with him at a prom." I mumbled as I remembered their photo; I found it between the pages of my mother's favorite book. They looked so happy together. I had never seen my mother that much happy; her eyes were shining.

She nodded, giving me a sad smile. "You have his eyes. Every time I look at you, you remind me about him." She added, full of sadness in her eyes. "And you got your talent in drawing from him. He was a talented artist."

"Dad... Steven knows?"

She nodded and breathed deeply. "Yes, but he doesn't know who your real father is. He guessed because he wasn't home for a few weeks. So it was impossible that you were his baby."

"Because of it, he hates me. I always wondered why he didn't love, hug or kiss me like Kate." I commented sadly and shook my head, heaving a sigh.

"I am sorry, Rose. And we are getting a divorce." She informed.

"Oh..." I mumbled.

She sighed as she stood up. "I wanted you to hear about it from me and found out the truth. I didn't want to hide it anymore. Especially after the latest events." I just nodded without managing to say anything.

"Take care!" She mumbled and left.

"Rose... Are you okay?" Troy asked, stroking my hair gently.

"My father loved me. He was happy after he had found out about my existence." I muttered, looking into the space.

"Rose..."

"Just hug me, Troy." I said as my eyes welled up, and I wrapped my arms around his neck. He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into his embrace, and placed a soft kiss on my cheek.

***

When I left the bathroom, Troy wasn't in the bedroom. I called him and went towards the living room. I stopped as I heard noises coming from the study room. When I walked in, I saw him working on his laptop.

"Troy, you have to rest." I stated firmly.

"I am fine, baby. I have a lot of paperworks which I need to examine." He said without taking his eyes off his laptop.