Chapter 40 - Knight in shining armor

Troy's POV

Suddenly, my phone rang again. I frowned in annoyance and grabbed it.

"As you see." I commented, sighing, and looked at the screen. It was Rose. "It is Rose." I informed my father quickly and picked up the phone.

"Hi. Did..."

"Daddy..." My heartbeats increased as I heard Alec's frightened voice and sobs.

"Alec? What happened?" I asked, worried. "Why are you crying?"

My father gave me a questioning look while looking at me, concerned.

"Grandpa is fighting with Mommy. He is shouting loudly. I am so scared. Please come." He begged in a low voice, sobbing.

"I am coming. Don't worry. Okay?" I assured him and grabbed my keys in panic. "Where are you?"

"In the closet in my room." He whispered.

"OK. Stay there. I am coming." I informed and stormed out, ignoring my father who was calling me behind me.

I pulled my car over in front of the gate as I saw Alec and Rose walking towards her car while she was pulling her suitcases. They turned around when Rose and my son heard the engine noises.

As soon as I got out of the car, Alec released his mother's hand and ran towards me. I bent down and hugged him tightly as I picked him up while placing soft kisses on his hair.

"It is okay. Everything passed. I am here." I reassured him, stroking his back gently while his arms were wrapped around my neck.

"What are you doing here?" Rose asked, confused as she approached me.

"Alec called me. He was scared because of the screams." I replied, giving her a compassionate look. She nodded, full of sadness in her eyes.

"Aunt and grandpa yelled at my mommy. I was so scared. I tried to protect Mommy, but he pushed me. I fell down." Alec said as his eyes welled up.

"What?!" I exclaimed and gritted my teeth in frustration while trying to control myself as much as possible. "Are you okay? Did you get hurt?" I asked, concerned and checked him.

"No, I am fine. He squeezed my mother's arm, shouting. He hurt her more." Alec informed.

I looked at Rose in worry; she averted her gaze, biting her lower lip.

"Are you okay, Rose?" I asked, worried as I hugged my son tightly in my arms and cupped her cheek.

"Yes. Don't worry." She mumbled, forcing a smile.

I breathed deeply, trying to calm down, and suggested. "Let's go. You will stay with me in my penthouse." When she wanted to refuse, I added firmly. "I will not let you stay alone tonight. It isn't up for discussion. Leave your car here. I will send someone to bring it to you tomorrow."

She sighed, nodding, and followed me as I walked towards my car, holding Alec in my arms protectively.

As soon as we got in my car, my phone rang. It was my father. He must be worried; I left abruptly without explaining to him anything.

"Excuse me." I said as I grabbed my phone. She nodded and leaned her head back against the headrest.

"Troy, why didn't you pick up your phone? I was so worried. What happened to Alec?" My father asked in panic.

"I am sorry, Dad. He is fine. They are with me." I assured him and looked at Rose. "I will tell you everything tomorrow." I added, running my hand through my hair.