15 | Expectations

Vikrant :

Three days had passed and again I woke up feeling really good about my otherwise bad life.

There was this warm feeling, I just didn't want to overcome.

I went downstairs after freshening up to find Simran in a red saree, looking drop dead gorgeous.

"Vikku you never said that your wife is this hot.", this was Jayesh, Nikita's boyfriend.
"Thank you.", I said sitting at the breakfast table.
She glowed, and looked more beautiful than ever.

"What would you eat? You want sandwiches or would you be okay with salad?", she asked.

"I've made Parathas for him!", this was Nikita who came and sat beside me with a plate with two Parathas.
"That'll do for me.", I said smiling at Simran.

She smiled back and sat beside me. Everyone started eating as I did too.

...

Simran :

I couldn't keep my eyes off him. He really aced his looks in formals.

"Simi di, why aren't you eating?", Jayesh asked as I finally stopped looking - or staring at Vikrant.

This was really weird that was happening.. But I liked it none the less.

"Nikita you've literally made the best parathas that I've ever eaten girl.", Vikrant said with a smile as Nikita thanked him.

Don't ask me why - but there was a sting of jealousy.
I looked at Vikrant who was busy eating.

Why am I so bothered? Yes, she must have made good parathas.. Now stop acting like a jealous insecure girl. Like seriously?

I mentally slapped myself and went back to my food.

Although it still was annoying me but I pretended to be okay.

Today I had taken a day off from work because there was Vikrant's office party that I had to attend.

Things had changed drastically between us. Now I was no more thinking of plans to annoy him, nor was he forever snobbish and annoyed with me.
That was one reason why I had started having expectations - I guess.

Also, I had started taking care of his food habits - because that really made him happy.. And I did want to see his charming smile.

"Hey!", he said nudging me.
"Feed me.", he said in a whisper indicating towards the half torn paratha on his plate.
I smiled and silently, of course because I didn't need teasing, fed him quietly.

He smiled and went back to his plate, eating.

Before you say it - nope, it's not love.
It's a weird attachment.

....

It was eight in the evening when all of us were in his office party which took place in a lavish hall.

"Ladies and gentlemen!", there was a host to the party who stood on the stage, "Here we have the ever so charming and amazing Vikrant Suryavanshi!"

He was wearing a black tuxedo looking like a classic hottie.

"Hello everyone..", he said beaming, "Today we are here for celebrating 15 years of my company's establishment. I hope you'll enjoy!", he said and walked down the stage.

The host began with a whole speech on how amazing Vikrant was, and for some odd reason, I found myself enjoying it.

And then, something happened.

" So I've one question for you Vikrant!", the host said," What do you count as a blessing for yourself?"

He instantly replied, "My sister, Nikita, 'coz she simply is the best person in my life now. Also she is the best cook. "

And there was applause.

This hit me hard.
I thought he would say my name.. I expected..
Expectations always break you, don't they?

I immediately turned and walked out of the hall. It was almost involuntary. Nikita noticed that change of state and followed me outside.

My eyes were welling up with tears.

"Hey Suyyash! Man.. Why don't you go out with her.. She wants to go out with you!", a friend told him as they sat sipping tea in the living room.
"I don't want to.. I can't fulfil her stupid expectations always.."

My heart was pacing as I opened the door of the car.

"Prithvi.. Just listen to me!", I screamed.
"No! You are a freaking liar!", he shouted.
"I expect you to believe me atleast —"
"You are nothing less than a filthy woman—"

I felt like the walls were closing around me. I shut the door of the empty car and sat, trying to breathe hard. I locked the door.

Tears ran down my eyes incessantly.

My heart and mind screamed at me, not again.. Please.. Not again..

There was a knock at the window of the car.
I drew in a deep breath.

"Look Simi, you've got to open this goddamn door.", Nikita said irritably.
"Let me be. Its okay.", I said in a broken trembling voice.

"He is like that.. You can't be crying here for that!", she said from outside then opened the front door and sat on the front seat.

"I'm fine."

"And do I have to believe that? Look at yourself! You're the strongest woman I know and you're just crumbling because Vikrant said something!", she said as I pulled out a tissue from the tissue box beside me to wipe my tears.

I just couldn't hold back my tears.

Why was it even affecting me?! - I thought irritably. I had no answer, just a sharp stinging on my heart.

"You've got to stop crying.. You love him, and—"

"I don't love him!", I said it, almost imposing it on myself.

I can't love a man who doesn't consider my worth.

"I don't love him..", I said, and my mind just back questioned me, "then why is it affecting you?"

...

Expectations.. You can't stop them.. Although you know they cause the most pain.

Gear up for some real drama in the next chappy!

Also, what do you think about Simran and Vikrant?