33 | The Start of The End

Simran :

I walked into the room to find Vikrant standing before a large painting in his room. This room was much bigger than his room in the Sun House - the size of a 2 bedroom flat this one room was, dressed in gold and red with the wall having several vintage paintings and weapons. 

I was still trying to get over the shock that I had just got. Vikrant's mother had been killed by his own father - it was a mistake - but it was also the truth. I gulped nervously. I walked down to Vikrant who kept looking at the painting in front of him. "I wanted my family's story to be like Ramayana, but it ended up as Mahabharata.", he said with a broken smile. I finally noticed the painting. 

The Artist had taken the artistic license as he had painted the two Suryavanshi brothers, grown up, on the two sides of their parents. "How I wish this could be true.", Vikrant said with numb eyes. I wanted to tell him the truth but seeing his state I decided against it. I placed my hand on his shoulder, "We can't change the past, but we can change our future.", he looked at me, broken. "I don't think it's possible anymore. The damage is beyond repair."

Just then there was a knock at the door. "Rajan - Ranisa Maharaja has said that today both o you should go and meet the people.", the servant said. Vikrant wiped a tear that had emerged from his eyes and nodded. "Sure.", he said as the servant nodded and left. "What people?", I asked, all confused. "The Suryavanshi clan was once the ruler and people like to stick to that belief. Hence there are certain duties, including interacting with the people and threating them as our subjects.", he explained.

"Okay..", I said still not get clarity.

"I can go out this was only but you've got to change into a saree. I will just ask a servant to send it here, since it is your first appearance here as my wife, it is a big deal. So get ready properly. Like a Queen.", his last line sent chills down my spine.

"I and a Queen?", I asked absolutely unsure. He smiled, placing a hand on my cheek, as I looked at him nervously. "It is easy. You just have to be yourself, because a Queen you already are.", he said smoothly. I smiled back at him holding his hand. "Now get ready. I will send my mother's jewellery, after all they are your inheritance. Vikram has obviously taken his share already.", he said the last line bitterly as he removed his hand from my face.

"Okay, it's our first public appearance as King and Queen, so don't spoil your mood.", I said as he nodded with a smile. He edged closer and kissed my forehead. "I love you.", he said softly. "I know.", I replied as he smiled back. "Thank you.", he said, nodded and left the room.

I cannot tell him the truth, not now atleast.

......

Vikrant :

I was standing at the door of the palace with the Queen's sword - I had just remembered that Simran had to be presented with it before we set out.

Although Vikram owned and ran this estate he could never sit on the throne, because according to the norms only the elder son can do that and if he doesn't sit, the Throne shall remain empty. I was looking at the sword in a red case with golden embroidery. My own sword hung on the side of my waist, a blue case with gold embroidery. Only history knew how old these swords were.

"Rani sa.", Mehrab said as if dazed looking to my right. I turned to my right and froze. Simran wore a light red heavily embroidered saree, with her hair let loose, her golden jewellery matched perfectly with her attires. More than anything, she looked exactly like my mother looked in photographs and portraits. She walked down to me and asked softly, "How do I look?"

I felt like I was lost in her beauty, she looked radiant, beautiful everything. I didn't say anything overwhelmed with emotions and I went down on one knee, holding up her sword before her, in my hands. She looked at Mehrab, confused. "Rani sa, take the sword, it is yours.", his voice seemed heavy as he too remembered the last Queen of the Suryavanshis.

She lifted the sword as I stood up. "You look like an Empress.", I said in a whisper as she looked at me with a smile. "This is like a dream come true.", she replied in a whisper. "For me too.", I replied, I had always wanted to see my mother dressed in her royal attires - today maybe God had indirectly fulfilled that wish.

I placed my hand before her to take, as we walked out of the palace gates a horse stood. "That is my horse, we are heading to the village on that. The goods for donation will follow us in the van.", I said as she nodded with a smile.

I climbed up the horse and gave her a hand, she carefully climbed up and I pulled the reins. Simran held onto my hand tightly. "God, I am scared." she said, her eyes shut tight, as she held the sword in one hand.

"Don't worry. I am here for you, always.", I replied.

....

IN A DARK ROOM IN THE PALACE :

"Have you gotten the attackers ready?", a man asked over the phone.

"Of course, your highness, today the royal couple will die."

"Good, this is the start of the end of Suryavanshis.", the man replied with a twisted smile.

.....

Will Vikrant-Simran be able to get out before the attackers strike?

Stay tuned!