34 | King And Queen

Simran :

We reached the place. There was a crowd of people, they were ordinary villagers - men wearing turbans with kurta, and women with sarees and long veils. There was thick forest vegetation a little ahead of us, as Vikrant pulled the reins of the horse. "Here we are.", he said in a whisper. The people were being told in stand in a line by the palace guards, now. "Get off.", Vikrant said as I nodded and hopped off the horse, thankfully not falling. Vikrant got off after me. He beamed, I had never seen him this happy from within as he walked down to the small girl looking at him astonished from the queue. I followed him.

He knelt before her and asked, "What is your name?"

"Reena.", the girl replied, slightly afraid. Vikrant turned towards Mehrab and nodded. Mehrab immediately walked down to him and pulled out a bar of chocolate from the jute bag and handed it to Vikrant. "This is for you.", Vikrant said handing it to the girl. Her face broke into a beautiful innocent smile. "Thank you, Rajan.", she said as Vikrant nodded with a smile, placing a hand on her cheek. "You are welcome!", Vikrant said as he stood up. He looked at me. I was staring at him, as if I had seen him for the first time.

"What happened?", he asked.

"I have never seen you this way.", I said softly. "Ah, so now you are getting to know your Sher Khan better madam.", he said as I smiled and nodded. "Lets distribute the Kurtas and Sarees to the people.", he said as he walked past me to the start of the queue. I followed him. We started handing over the things to the people. They had so much reverence in their eyes and voice when they called us Rajan and Ranisa, the feeling was so different. I felt like despite everything that we had gone through - we had only gained.

Just then something happened. Vikrant bent down to pick up a kurta that had slipped from his hand as a small dart flew over his bent body and hit a dog, right in front of my eyes. The dog fell lifelessly instantaneously. 

"Vikrant!", I shouted as the pushed him to the side, another dart passed from the spot he had just been. He fell on the ground, noticing what had happened. He looked at me shocked. "Mehrab! Get everyone out of here! These are poisonous darts!", I shouted as Vikrant stood up and ran down to me, clasped my hand and pulled me towards his horse. He immediately climbed up on it and gave me a hand. I climbed up as he pulled the reins. "Vikrant duck!", I screamed out of an instinct as he bent his head and a dart passed from right above it. 

"Don't worry.. it's okay..", he said in absolute low confidence as the horse started galloping, Suddenly it took a sharp turn, turning back towards the forest. "Chetak! What is wrong-", and there was a blast behind us, right where we would have been if we had gone ahead in the path we were. 

Vikrant looked back in shock. He had paled two tones. There was panic in the crowd, people were screaming. Vikrant looked at all of this totally losing his composure.

 "Vikrant just trust the horse's instinct. Animal instinct are mostly correct.", I said looking at his nervous face. He gulped and nodded. The horse galloped towards the dense vegetation ahead. Vikrant held the reins with one hand and pulled me close to himself with another, holding onto me. There was fear in his eyes, for the first time. We were inside the forest, and the horse suddenly stopped. 

"What happened now?", Vikrant asked as suddenly six men emerged out from behind the trees. The wore black clothes, face hidden behind masks. Each one had a sword in their hand. 

"Damn it.", Vikrant said as he got off the horse. I did the same. Vikrant pulled out his sword from it's case, that was hanging from his waist. I was holding my sword in my hand, and I had no idea about how to use it. 

"Let the war begin.", Vikrant said as he edged forward towards a man.

....

Vikrant :

I took a step forward as the man ran down. There was a sharp clang as the swords crashed. I had learnt sword fighting when I was young, honestly I had little confidence now but of course - this was do or die. I pushed the man backwards as he attacked, I ducked missing his sword and struck on his leg. he fell and blood oozed out from his wound. Just then there was another clang of swords right behind me. I didn't have the time to look back as another man attacked. I hold my sword in defence as I looked around to find Simran holding up her sword in defence for three men.

Ah, the queen she is!

I took a breath of relief and renewed confidence, and pushed the man before me and immediately kicked him on his abdomen, bent and struck on his leg. I could not kill these men, so the only other way was to make them incapable of walking. 

I immediately turned to help Simran. She was on the ground, doing her best to hold the three men up. "You three! Have some shame! Attacking one woman together!", Their attention was drawn towards me. Simran slashed her sword across one's chest, as she stood up. I ran down attacking one, as she took another.

Within another ten minutes, the 'war' was over and the five men fled saving their lives. I was absolutely exhausted as I sat down on the grassy floor of the forest. Simran too sat down beside me.

"You never told me you could sword fight also.", I said looking at her tiredly. "Honestly, even I didn't know.", she said giggling as my face broke into a smile. "You were meant to be a Queen. I don't know if mine or not, but you were meant to be one.", I said as she looked at me with a smile.

She drew in a deep breath as we looked up at the clear blue sky through the trees. 

"Will we get out of here alive?", I asked, a fear creeping into me.

"As long as the King and Queen stand together, no power can destroy the Holy Kingdom of Bliss.", she said clasping my hand tightly as if channelling her strength into me.

"Together.", I said.

"Forever."

.....

The vicious attacks have started! Will their love be able to save them?

What do you think about Vikrant and Simran now? Who is your personal favourite?

Lemme know in the comments!