Chapter 16

We didn't have school Monday because it was some holiday this town had. I honestly didn't even care to remember the name.

My substitute teacher for science was finally back in town, apparently she had busted her leg during some odd experiment.

I sat next to Onyankopon, my first time formally meeting him since he transferred.

"Hey, I'm (Y/N)." I smiled and held my hand out for him to shake. He took my hand and shook it, returning the smile.

"The names Onyankopon- though you already knew that, right?"

"Mr. Smith's class?"

"Yeah..."

. . .
. . . .
. . . . .

. . .Awkward. . .

. . . . .
. . . .
. . .

"Can you sit next to me during Mr. Smith's class? I don't like Floch." I brought up. He nodded.

"Sure...what happe-"

"SO SORRY I'M LATE, KIDS!" Our spunky teacher burst through the door, her shy assistant following behind.

"Please done scare them, Hange! You could have gotten hurt!" He stressed.

She laughed and took her seat, eagerly setting her things down at her desk. Her assistant waved to us and stood there awkwardly.

"This is gonna be one hell of a class.." Onyankopon turned to me with a nervous laugh. I nodded my head, looking to him.

"Oh, definitely. She's certainly a character." I responded. "But...she looks a little..."

"...familiar." We both said at the same time. We looked at eachother in shock.

"Like-"

"-we've met before...."

Silence...

"...God, this is so cliché."

"Do you get..." He lowered his voice and looked around the room. "Visions?"

I nodded rapidly, a pit in my stomach grew.

"Okay, lets get it started guys! Moblit, turn on the slideshow while I hand out papers!"

"Yes, sir!"

'Are they not a girl?'

Onyankopon and I sat in the middle, and watched as they eagerly passed out papers. When they came upon us, their happy smile dropped.

"Wait..." They examined us. I can swear, their eyes started to tear up, but they pushed their glasses up to mask it. "um-- Here you...here you two go."

They hurried off to wrap up the paper passing. When they finished, they hurried to the front of the class room.

"Well, hello class! I'm Hange Zoe, just use my first name, Hange! The dork next to me is my best friend, and basically my mom, Moblit Berner! Call him what ever he wants!"

"Moblit is just fine since you're going by your first name." He smiled to the class.

"Okie-dokie! Now, if you guys look down at your paper, you'll see it just says to put your names and pronouns! Mine are she/they/he by the way!" They beamed and looked at Onyankopon and I, waving.