Chapter 34

Walking into my Literature class, I sat down in my seat, all the way in the back by the window.

It's nice to look out there. Sometimes I get to see beautiful things! School fights, people tripping on the concrete where it's a bit higher up...Wait. Isn't that something I can sue the school for? I should try it out sometime. I smiled at Armin as he sat down at the only desk next to me. I pulled out my ear buds to talk to him.

"Hey."

"Hey!" He responded, pulling his stuff out of his backpack.

"....wait." I squinted in thought, looking him up and down. "What brings you back here? I don't mind, but thats Ciel's seat and I don't think he'd be too kind about you taking it. He's kinda possessive, y'know?"

"So am I, but," Armin gestured up and over to the blue haired boy, who now sat in front of the class with his best friend, Finnian. "I'm pretty sure he's fine with where he's at now."

"Oh, so now he's talkative. Dude wouldn't say a word to me unless I spoke first! Asshole..." I shook my head and glared down to my table. "Whatever. As long as you're next to me, I don't care anymore."

Armin leaned down, planting a kiss on my forehead. Ten minutes had passed, yet there was still no sign of Mr. Hammock. Haha. Hammock. What a dumb name.

"What if Mr. Hammock died?" I joked. "I mean, either way, aren't we able to leave class if the teacher just doesn't show up after....15 minutes?"

Armin nodded, but before he could respond, a familiar short, black-haired man entered the room. The one that's a substitute for these types of classes.

The class fell silent, we all know Levi can mean business. Or is he just Mr. Ackerman right now? I think I'll use 'Mr' to stay on the safe side...

"Mr. Hammock died last night." He said as he stacked his papers on his new desk, sitting down. "It's unfortunate, and I'm not allowed to go into detail, so please don't ask. Respect the fallen...dead."

I swear to god my stomach dropped to my fucking ass. Did I just manifest his death? I looked to Armin in shock, and we looked at each other at the same time, with the same shocked expression on our faces.

Ciel raised his hand, "Does that mean you will be our new teacher?"

Mr. Ackerman raised a hand up, "I was just about to get to that, but long story short...yeah. I'm going to be taking over this job, finally putting my degree to use..." He mumbled the last part. "Anyway. Your old seating charts don't matter, I'll give you five minutes to just pick new ones, or stay where you're at."

He picked up a notepad and pencil. "I'm going to be going up to you all individually so you can give me your names and such, passing it around so you can write it down. I know anxiety can be a bitch, so I won't make you talk infront of the class."

Armin and I giggled. I know, it's childish, but I don't think I could ever get used to a teacher swearing- it's just too amusing to me.

Mr. Ackerman looked over to the two of us with a small smile. I swear he swore on purpose, it got a reaction out of almost every student in the room.

It took him a while to get to us, and I was surprised he even did. I know damn well he knows our names.

Maybe he didn't want to seem creepy.

He gave me the sheet of paper first and I looked down, hurriedly writing my name and pronouns. I passed the sheet to Armin, and watched as he wrote. He hesitated for a moment, looking up at Mr. Ackerman and back down to the paper.

He wrote 'he/they' down. He quickly gave the paper back to Mr. Ackerman who walked away to the next table.

"Hey, you don't need to be worried about that, I swear, I don't think he minds at all considering he's marrying Hange....who is literally gender fluid."