Cato x District 4!Reader

Requested by @LeopardLight27264

Hope you liked it, I had fun writing this!
I may have messed up some of the personality a little, hope that's ok 😅

꧁ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ꧂

You sighed, shivering a little. "Why does this arena have to be freezing?" You groaned, trudging as you walked beside Cato. Being from District 4, it would be a lot more warmer than here. But alas, there wasn't anything you could do but deal with it. Being in the Hunger Games has worn down on you a ton. Especially since Marvel and Clove were killed just a few days ago.

You didn't even know how quick things were. One moment you had received a 10 for your performance with a trident, the next thing you knew you had to murder a few kids just to stay alive in the bloodbath. Considering you were from District 4–a career District—you were already guaranteed a spot with the Careers.

During your training, Cato, a good looking boy from District 2, and the leader of the Career pack spotted you stabbing and decapitating dummies with a trident. He complimented your skill, you thanked him, and you two clicked. He even announced in front of everyone during his interview that he had a thing for you. Considering the fact that you could get more sponsors (and you felt a little something for him as well) you decided to go along with it. No acting was even needed. You were very loyal to anyone who gained your trust. Cato gained most of your heart and trust, so you've never left his side since then.

Now you were stuck here, you and Cato were the last tributes of the Career pack remaining. Cato himself had said once he was glad you were still alive, which made you feel grateful, happy, and safe. You still had the star-crossed lovers from District 12 to worry about. Clove had died during the feast, and the two of you had just started to go after Thresh to avenge Clove.

During the time, you never thought about how you'd get home. You wanted to win with Cato, especially after the time you've been spending with him. Many people saw him as a ruthless killer, however you got to see the boy who was just trying to survive with you by any means necessary. But somehow, the gamemakers decided to allow two victors this year. Was the Capitol rooting for you and Cato? Or the lovers from 12? You wouldn't know, and neither did Cato.

During this whole experience, Cato had also showered you with public affection, whether it be light kisses to your cheeks, lips, or forehead, or even just holding you whenever he got the chance. You both knew that your love for each other wasn't an act, there was no way you two could act about something as serious as love.

You zipped up your coat to prevent heat from escaping, and held your trident on your weaker hand, a knife in your stronger hand. Cato had his sword held. The sky had turned dark and there wasn't a sight of Thresh anywhere.
You both had to keep your guard up, there was only 5 tributes alive. Not only that, but you recently twisted your ankle, so you had difficulty walking at times. If you had to sprint, you could potentially make it worse.

Your ankle then decided to stop cooperating and you tugged on Cato's jacket. He turned to you and then let you onto his back for a free ride. Perks of being his girlfriend.

"Cato, what happens when it's just the two of us against District 12?" You whispered, loud enough for him to hear, but quiet enough so no one else could know. He kissed your cheek. "You let me take care of that." You rolled your eyes in response. "Yeah, I'm totally gonna let you deal with 2 dangerous tributes on your own." He smirked below you.
The two of you continued walking, well, Cato giving you a piggyback ride thanks to your ankle, seeing if you could find somebody.

Cato stopped all of a sudden, halting your movements as well. You looked ahead with what vision you had through the night and spotted Thresh. He almost was invisible thanks to the night, but luckily the fake moon glow revealed him very easily. Cato and you both hid at a distance away from him, while he set you down. Thresh immediately picked up that someone was there.