Jabberjays

Just a short one shot. Basically, instead of Finnick going to Katniss in the jabberjay scene, it's you. And you hear Cato's scream during that hour.

There is some fluff in this in the end, not sure if it's considered angst.

꧁ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ꧂

You sighed, scraping some dirt off your sword as your alliance sat on the beach, resting. You all have just lost Wiress in the battle against Brutus, Cashmere, and Gloss. What about the other District 2 girl? Well, that's you.

You knew about the revolution happening with Katniss, and worked together with Haymitch and Plutarch to get Katniss out of there. The other careers never knew about the plan, so it was quite a shocker when they found out you were sided with them.

You looked back before the arena. You were a Victor. You won your games three years ago. You're dating a strong, handsome boy named Cato Hadley. He was planning on volunteering for the games, but oh no you did not have it. F*ck the 'honour for District 2', that's a bunch of bullsh*t and it's not worth risking your life for. When he told you that he was planning on volunteering, you were begging him not to volunteer. Not because he might die in the arena (though that was a large amount of the reason), but because the aftermath the games would have on him. Nightmares, hallucinations, the guilt, all of it will come crashing down on him.

You cried, begged, pleaded so hard so he wouldn't volunteer. Seeing you crying and breaking down because of that was so much on his poor heart, he had to comfort you and hug you until you fell asleep. He listened to you because you had to deal with the trauma of being in the games. And thank god, he wasn't reaped.

And you were more than grateful now.

Because for the 75th Hunger Games, the victors of the male and females from each District would be reaped for the 3rd Quarter Quell. Your name had been reaped, and despite needing to act confident, you were close to breaking down so many times before entering the Capitol. You missed him so much. You missed the nights where you two would hold each other, the days where Cato and you would train, you missed those days.

And as you were thinking about him, your thoughts left your brain as you heard a little girl screaming, causing Katniss to freak out and run into the forest. "Prim!!" She screamed, running to go to her sister's aid. Something seemed off. It was only an hour after the cornucopia was spinning around. You had a bad feeling. You got up with your sword, and sprinted off to stop Katniss.

"Katniss! Wait!"

It was too late, she was already deep in the forest. By the time you caught up to her, the screaming stopped, and Katniss's body was shaking, her breaths ragged and short.

"Katniss!" You called out, her head turning towards you. Her blue pupils dilating, her face displaying shock. Your eyebrows knitted in concern.

"You ok?" Katniss didn't respond, she was still trying to catch her breath.

And that's when you heard it. A familiar scream. Cato's.

"(Y/N)! (Y/N)!!"

Now it was your turn to become shocked. The grip on your sword tightened, your knuckles turning white. You forced your legs to urge forward, desperate to make sure Cato was ok. Yes he could defend himself, but these were Victors - much more skilled in combat in their preferred way.

"Cato! Cato!!" You screamed, running deeper into the jungle. Katniss called after you, stopping you after a minute of running.

"(Y/N) stop! It's just a jabberjay, it's not real!"