Reapings

New one shot today! Dunno how this'll end, I'm just writing with whatever my head gave me lol. I'm feeling a lot better (no I didn't have Covid lol) so I'm writing now!

Plot: Reader begs Cato not to volunteer. Cato, however, refuses to listen to his girlfriend.

Requested by: N/A

Setting: District 2, before/during Reaping Day

Anything else to be aware of: (F/N) = Friend's name

꧁ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ꧂

"I'm going to volunteer (Y/N)! You can't stop me!"

"Cato, why are you even doing this?!"

"So I can represent our district, and bring pride back home! Don't you want that?!" He held your hands, his eyes filled with desperation. You knew he wanted to go to the arena. You knew he was trained for this. But he didn't even think about you during this time. What if he died?!

"I only want you Cato! I don't care about pride, I just want you here!" You cried, your voice at the brink of cracking. You never fought over this, but now - on the night before reaping day - you had to. Sure, you were trained for the games as well, but you never would've volunteered. Especially not if you had someone you loved.

Cato however was going to volunteer regardless. Sometimes it made you wonder whether or not you were important to him.

He sighed, removing his hands from yours, the warmth escaping your grasp. "I'm sorry, (Y/N). But this is what I'm doing."

"So you're going to leave me again?" You looked at the ground, knowing you won't be able to stop him. He turned back to you. "What did you say?"

"You're going to leave me. You've always cancelled dates for more training. It was always, training training training, represent District 2, and then if you don't have anything else to do, you then go to me. And now you're going to just throw your life away, and leave me here alone?!" You clenched your fists, feeling your knees getting shakier. 

This seemed to anger Cato, you saw a tick mark appear on his face. "Oh my god, I'm preparing so I can survive in there and come back home to you! You're acting ridiculous!" He roared back, causing you to instantly reply without thinking.

"Well if I'm acting 'ridiculous' for wishing that I could spend more time with you, then I'll just leave!" You grabbed your coat, headed to the door, and walked out, making sure to slam the door behind you. Cato didn't even stop you.

You took a long walk back to your house, the cold air nipping at your skin. You didn't focus on that. Only the bitterness in your heart was the only thing that consumed you. But you were right. Cato never thought about how you were feeling with his opinion. He was going to die, whether physically or mentally.

You could feel something warm running down your cheeks. You brung up a hand, letting your fingers trace over the tears running down your face. Brushing as many stray tears as you could away, you continued your journey to your home, settling inside as soon as you faced the door.

You put your coat on the rack and made a cup of hot chocolate. Taking a sip from the warm mug, you tried to ease the bitterness and empty feeling inside of you, but to no avail. Was this really it? The end of a relationship you thought would last your whole lifetime? Was that just a stupid little fairytale thought your childhood self believed in? That if you loved someone, you would stay with them for all eternity?

Trying to shake away your thoughts, you got up and had a quick hot shower, and settling into bed quickly.

-

Reaping Day. The dreaded day arrived. You can already replay the scene in your head. The escort lady calls a boy up. Cato volunteers. Or even worse - Cato got reaped.

You shivered, feeling that anxiousness run into your stomach. How odd, it's only been 4 years since you've felt that, and now of all times you're feeling it again.

'No, you don't have time for this. Get ready. Prepare to say goodbye to Cato. It'll be ok.' You tried to convince yourself. But you couldn't. You felt so anxious you were sure you were going to pass out at one point.

It took an hour before you got prepared. You walked to the Justice Building of District 2, signing in and going to girls your age. (F/N) gave you a reassuring smile and squeezed your arm in sympathy. You could only nod back, your voice was stuck in your throat.

During that time, you had been silently praying that Cato would have thought about what you said last night. Or praying that he didn't say anything at all, and somebody else volunteered.

I guess your prayers were...somewhat in your favour. But as they say, be careful what you wish for.

Because as the lady picked up the female name, she changed everything right then and there.

"(Y/N) (L/N)!"

Cato never thought he would experience any amount of sadness or desperation until right now. You were picked. You'd think he'd be jealous, but he wasn't. He realized what he said, and he knew that now, if he volunteered, one of you would have to die in order for the other to live.

And he also realized that he could lose you as well.

He tried pinching himself. Once, twice. Scratched his arm, digging his nails into his skin until he bled, trying to wake up. That this nightmare would end and he would be holding you once again.

But he was awake.

And you were going into the Hunger Games. This wasn't a sport anymore. Because it could kill the one person he loved.

By the time he realized this, the Capitol escort had picked out a male tribute and led them into rooms where they would say their final goodbyes. Cato immediately booked it to the room, being the first one to enter.

When he burst into the room, you turned your head to see him. Your eyes widened as you bit your lip, trying to control your emotions. He engulfed you into his arms, burying his head into your shoulder.

"Hey, no worries, I'm just gonna bring pride to our District." You joked, trying to lighten the atmosphere. He shook his head, gripping you tighter.

"No. You're gonna come home to me. Ok? You have to." He pulled back, his broken face cupping your cheeks lightly. You smiled sadly.

"I'm nowhere near as good as my District partner, I probably won't even survive the first day-" You were interrupted as Cato's lips were pressed against yours. You kissed back, knowing that this would be your last kiss for a long time.

"You are so much better than him. You know how to use a trident, and your skill is far better than him. I know you can do this." Cato whispered, his breath becoming ragged as you felt his calm facade slowly break.

You nodded. You need to come home for him. Just him, no one else. You swear to it.

"I'm so sorry, (Y/N)..." He cried, not wanting to let you go. The peacekeepers burst into the room, having to rip him off you. His time must be over.

"I love you Cato!" You cried, the last words you spoke to him before you were escorted to the train.

am I thinking of a part 2? maybe. will I do it? maybe, I dunno. I like this ending but who knows