58. Right Kind Of Man, Wrong Kind Of World

It was a soup of emotions when I saw Alex emerge from the gate at the airport. He was out first, bag over his shoulder and his hair long and unkempt, tucked behind his ears as through the darkened glass of his glasses I could see the exact moment his scanning eyes spotted me.

I felt my heart release chemicals of love and joy the moment his pursed lips curled into a wide smile and the crease between his eyebrows disappeared. There was no hesitation in allowing my feet to begin guiding me through all the people in between us. My cheeks were already hurting from how wide I was smiling. I was so relieved to see him again. I couldn't have gone another week second guessing everything in the self destructive manner that consumed me when I was on my own.

Like almost every other time, Alex dropped his bag to his feet and caught me as I jumped up onto him, hugging him tight with both my arms and legs. He was back. He was finally back. For good.

"God I've missed you," Alex said into my hair, hugging his arms around me. "I know it's barely been two weeks but I haven't stopped thinking about you since you left."

I giggled and moved to look at him, "I love you," I grinned and kissed him hard as Alex lowered me to the ground. I missed him more than I could put into words. Just the feeling of his arms around me, my fingers in his hair, his lips on mine and his body so close, made me feel so at home and safe. Every time I saw him for the first time I felt my second guesses flush out clean. But of course, they always came back.

  "How's dinner tonight sound?" Alex smiled, his face still close enough to mine that I could feel his breath on my lips.

  "Still keeping your promises from before?" I smiled, holding my hands against the base of his neck, toying with the ends of his hair. He looked better than I could imagine. Right off a long flight too. There was a thin layer of stubble around his lips that grazed my chin when we kissed, it made him look even better than when he was clean shaven which was something I thought wasn't possible. He looked healthy, not exhausted like he was when I left.

Maybe I was the reason why he was so drained. Oh god stop it and just be happy that he's here!

  "Of course," Alex smiled and kissed me once more. "Yer hair looks fantastic," he mentioned.

  I blushed and brushed it off my face, "not noticeably uneven?" I'd cut it during a breakdown where a pair of scissors were just that bit too close. It was the first time since I'd met him that I'd had it cut above my shoulders. It was never ridiculously long because I always found that a hassle but it was the shortest it had been since I left highschool where I had one of those teeny tiny bobs that sit about an inch under your ears.

  "No, I mean it, you are gorgeous as ever," he smiled and tucked the curled locks behind my ear as Miles came over to join us.

  "Alright he's your problem now," Miles teased and pat my shoulder. "I've had enough for the next five years."

  "Fuck off," Alex laughed and poked a finger into Miles' side to make him squirm.

  "I'll see you two in a bit," Miles smiled and brought us each into a hug. "Right. Now I'll be off, I've got a whole month's sleep to catch up on."

  Soon enough, Al and I were on our way back to our home. I could tell Alex was excited as hell to see me and be back, but he couldn't resist his urge to fall asleep within the first ten minutes of our drive home. He was always so cute when he slept. His eyelids shut tight over his round eyes, all the strain in his face eased and his lips pressed together as the occasional quiet snore escaped from his nostrils.

I went to wake him up when I thought of something funny to say but when I looked at him and saw how peaceful he was, I didn't want to disturb him and so kept my mouth closed.