17. Trapped Between A Bad Place And A Bad Decision

The dress I slipped into was black and red. Christian was behind the wheel droning on about something or other about the temp as I focused on putting on my heels. Once again, he didn't wait for me to be fully ready before he insisted we leave the house. It had been ages since we'd been to a party together and Alex, being the host of the one we'd be in attendance to that night, was kind enough to let me bring Christian along.

When I woke up the morning after getting high at the beach with Alex, that silly little thought had left my mind and it hadn't revisited since. I took this as a good sign and let it disappear completely.

We were already running an hour late due to Christian finishing work overtime and when we finally arrived at the address Alex had given me, we found ourselves in a pickle for parking. Everywhere seemed to be taken up by one car or another so we drove all the way down the street and parked on the side of the road. I knew there were going to be a lot of people there but I never knew it would be that big.

"What's he a rockstar or something?" Christian joked as we walked down the road back to Alex's house. "How is there so many people?"

"He is actually," I said to Christian, holding his hand as we walked.

Christian chuckled, "yer messing with me."

I shook my head, "he's in a band."

Both Christian and I were taken back to say the least when we approached Alex's buzzing house. Guests all over the place — it wasn't a rager but it definitely wasn't a small get together. His house was...well it made me feel dirt poor to say the least. It was magnificent and humble all at once. Single storey and not so much one of those asshole looking huge multi-storey mansions you'd expect a musician to live in. As nice as it was it still looked like a home, much more so than all the mansions Christian designed to tell the truth.

Holding Christian's hand, I led him through the front door and down the hall, looking for any familiar face. This was the first time I'd been to Alex's house and I was overwhelmed. I couldn't find him anywhere and kept my grip on Christian's hand tight to ensure I didn't loose him amongst all the guests.

"Orion!"

I whipped my head over to the left to see Matt making his way over to me with a bottle of beer in hand and sighed in relief. Letting go of Christian's hand, I welcomed Matt with an embrace and stood back as he and Christian shook hands and exchanged a brief hello.

"Alex is gonna be well pleased to see ya," Matt told me, "he's been looking for you for ages."

"Oh really?" I laughed.

"Yeah he keeps asking around for you," Matt chuckled, "I think he's out back but I'll grab you guys a few drinks before he finds ya."

Christian interlocked his fingers with mine once more as we followed Matt through the house to the kitchen. There really were people absolutely everywhere just talking in groups and a few dancing in the living room to music playing from speakers I couldn't spot. Opening up the double door fridge — a damn luxury in my eyes — Matt asked us what we fancied.

Christian got a beer and Matt helped me find some spirits to mix up a Redbull vodka before apologising as he excused himself to the bathroom. Alex's liquor cabinet was well filled to say the least. It was hard not to help myself to all of it.

  "Hey are you driving home or do you want me to?" Christian asked as I stuck a straw in my Redbull can, taking a sip.

  "Um...I can drive if you want?" I said. I didn't really want to be the designated driver, mostly because I didn't want to be restricting myself all night but I couldn't find it in me to say an outright no to him.