11. Love In Denial

I was woken up the following morning by the shrill of my doorbell. From the moment it hit my ears, I knew it was Christian. I groaned and forced myself out of the comfort of my bed and trudged to the front door. I was met with Christian's soft smiling face just as I had predicted.

  "Morning," he said, clearly not noting my very unhappy demeanour. I was exhausted to say the least and he would always show up so damn early in the morning.

  "Hi," I mumbled and walked off to the kitchen to make myself some coffee, knowing Christian was just going to follow me in.

  "Did I wake you up?" he asked as he shut the front door and followed after me.

  "Yeah," I muttered and popped a pod in my coffee machine.

  "How was the exhibition?" he asked, guilt hidden in his tone.

  "Fine," I shrugged, pushing my tangled hair out of my face. He looked way too good for me, all dressed nice, hair combed, freshly shaved whilst I looked like I'd just crawled out of some kind of cave in the wilderness.

  "I'm so sorry I couldn't make it," he said and I felt his presence near.

  "It's fine," I said as I grabbed myself a mug. "I can't blame you," I said.

"I wish I was there O," he said and I felt his hands creep up on my waist from behind me. "I'm so sorry."

I sighed and turned around to face him, placing a hand on his cheek, "it's okay, I knew you would've been tired, it's not your fault. I shouldn't have expected so much of you."

He cocked his head at me softly, "I hope you still enjoyed yourself though."

I nodded and leant back against the kitchen bench as he rubbed his hands up and down my hips. "Alex came," I said, dropping my hand to his neck, "kept me company while Jackson was at the bar."

Christian nodded and moved one of his hands to my chin, "I know I can't make up for letting you down, but, I did bring some compensation because I know how big last night was for you."

He grabbed my hand and led me to one of the sofas in the adjoined living room, sitting me down and going to grab something he'd left in the hallway. He returned with a bag with two boxes inside. He'd bought me presents in congratulations for the exhibition.

  "Christian..." I said quietly upon unwrapping them. "I can't accept these."

  "Course you can," he smiled and kissed my cheek. He'd splurged to say the least and I was speechless. "I know you wanted them for a long time and you deserve it for your work," he said as I opened up a box that contained these designer brand black patterned stockings that I gave up on the idea of buying when I saw their price. The other gift he'd gotten me was a necklace from fucking Tiffany's.

  "Oh my god...Christian," I said and looked up at him, "why did you spend this on me?"

  "Cause I love you," he smiled and wrapped his arms around me. "And I'm so proud of you."

  "Christian I don't deserve this," I said, my eyes glued to the shimmering necklace.

  "You do," he said and kissed my cheek yet again, "here, I'll put in on you." He gently pulled it from it's box and laid it across my chest, sweeping my hair to the side and clipping it together gently. "You look beautiful," he said and kissed my nape softly, his stubble grazing my skin ever so slightly. It felt so nice to hear him say that. I thanked him a million times, stunned at his gesture, squeezing him tight and kissing him a thousand times more.

  His kindness washed away the let down of him not showing up the night before. And that morning we were perfect just like we had been before he left. Of course we ended up in the bedroom like every morning he came over and then he reminded me he loved me and left to see a client.