7. One Side Of Two Different Coins

"Orion are you ready?" When I'm under a time limit his voice is like scraping a fork on the face of a plate.

  "Almost, just give me a second!" Sometimes it's hard to sound cheerful when your foot and your stiletto aren't cooperating. A tumble is the sweetest cherry on top.

  "Orion we can't be late, it'll look bad on me if their boss takes his time to show up." God I wanted to throw my shoe at him. Finally slipping into the damn thing I grabbed my purse and jogged out of my room and into the hallway. "Jesus Christ took your time," Christian sighed and opened up the front door, sending a gush of cool air in.

  "I'm sorry I'm sorry," I apologised and jogged to meet him as he stepped outside.

  "Just get ready earlier next time," he said passively and began walking down the steps as I locked up my flat.

  "Yes I know, I'm sorry," I sighed and followed him down to his car. "Do I look okay?" I asked him. He opened up the drivers side door and looked back at me.

  "Yeah you look fine," he said and got into the car without another word. Thanks baby. I sighed and got into the passenger's seat, pulling up the front of my dress feeling self conscious with how deep it went into my chest.

  Christian let out a loud exhale, slumping back in his seat. "If you don't want to come you don't have to."

  "What?" I sat up and looked at him, "what? No. No of course I want to come. Of course I do." I gently placed a hand on his forearm and tried desperately to steal his attention. I bit my painted bottom lip and sat back in my seat, "do you want me to come?" I asked quietly.

  "Yes Orion I want you to come," Christian exhaled and rubbed his forehead. "Let's just go. We're already late." He started up the car and began driving us to wherever this work dinner was being held. I sighed and sank back into the soft material of the car seat, looking out the window and closing my eyes briefly. Sometimes being with Christian was exhausting. I know I shouldn't say that but it's the honest truth.

  What confused me most was when he brought it up with me, this company dinner, he sounded like he really wanted me there. But now that it was Friday and we were on our way there, I don't think he wanted me coming at all. Just be a perfect girlfriend and then he'll be happy.

  "You look nice," I told him as he parked the car in front of a very wealthy looking building.

  "Thanks," he muttered and got out of the car.

  I inhaled and exhaled to my lung's capacity and brought myself to follow after him and not just call myself a ride home. Christian grabbed my hand and held it gently as we walked up to the restaurant doors, opening them for me like a gentleman and smiling when I thanked him. He was always such a poser.

  We'd been seated for at least an hour, I kept looking over at Christian trying to catch even a shred of his attention but he was focused on more important things. He'd been talking to his coworkers all night whilst I sat there, basically dining by myself as no one seemed to want to talk to me. I felt so pointless. I was surrounded my people nothing like me. All business headed, no one wanted to get to know you unless you meant they made money. It was suffocating. I just needed to leave that table at least for a moment so I grabbed my purse and tapped Christian on the shoulder. He looked over at me, finally, and raised his eyebrows in question.

  "I'm just going to the bathroom," I smiled.

  "Okay," Christian nodded, "you okay?"

  I nodded quickly, "yeah, I'm fine."

  "Okay," Christian said and turned back into his conversation. I stood from my seat and excused myself to the restrooms. They were lavish to fit the restaurant to say the least. It was one of those places where it's just the one female toilet all done up instead of cubicles.