Chapter 39

Jacob's P.O.V

I didn't know what I was thinking.

I never meant it to come out the way it did. I never wanted to sound so...jealous in front of her. I didn't want her going anywhere near her mate. I know what the mate bond feels like and I know how it works.

I've had it for goddess sake!

Once you are in the line of vision you start to smell their scent and you can't stop thinking about how addicting they smell. How beautiful they look and you just wish you could hold them. Once you near them your senses become haywire as if they were never yours in the first place. The minute she gets near to him she will feel like she's in a trance. Even if she wants to accept his rejection, that thought will go out the window when she looks at him and I don't want that to happen.

I know that I sound selfish and I hate that I do but how could I ever compete with the mate bond? I told her how I felt last night because I wanted her to choose not to go to him. I wanted her to choose me. My wolf wanted her to choose us.

"Ah," I never thought that I would come back from Echo House and meet a girl that I have feelings for. But the girl that I have feelings for is not just some girl. She's strong, incredible, and completely devoted to this pack. She would fight an army alone just to protect the ones she loves. So why am I doubting her?

I sigh for the millionth time since I've been in my office. I didn't get much sleep and I thought that I should get up early to get some work done. But I can't do that either. My mind keeps going back to the conversation we had last night. It's like I can't get a break from my mind.

Knock knock

I heard a knock on my office door before I saw Christian coming in. "Any luck on finding Alice?" I turned around and asked him as soon as he closed the door. "Not yet. We caught her scent last night but it led us to a pond just outside our borders. It looks like she washed off in the pond but trackers believed that she's heading south," he took a seat in the chair in front of my desk. "Back to her pack?" I asked as I made my way to my chair around my desk. I have caught up with a lot of things about the pack and its people for the past three years and I am certain that Alice is not from this pack.

Her father is the Alpha of her pack. A very weak one might I add. We could have taken over the pack long ago but our ancestors signed a peace treaty with them. But that was when the pack was flourishing and strong. As generations pass by, it became weaker and weaker.

"Yes. Looks like she's going home," I nod my head at the statement. But why would she be going home? "Why would she be going home?" I asked the question out loud. "It's what she always does. A few years ago when she attacked Ellie in her sleep, she ran home when Alpha Brian found out and demanded she is thrown into a cell. Also, when she threatened to hurt a pack member just to get Ellie's attention,"

"She seems quite obsessed with Ellie," I commented and he nod his head. "She is. Ever since Ellie got her title, she was convinced that she cheated and demanded a rematch. Ellie wouldn't do it. They fought in the finals and both their techniques were great but we all know who won eventually. That didn't sit well with Alice," he finished.

"You would think that if she convinced an entire pack patrol to leave their post and allowed a rouge to slip through the borders, she would try a little bit harder to hide," I said to myself. Something doesn't feel right. Christian seems to get what I'm trying to say as he furrowed his eyebrow and look down slightly. In his thoughts as well. "Alice is smart. She knows that if she was caught, the penalty would be death or war on her pack. So heading home wouldn't be an option because that can't help her," I said out loud, and before I could say anything Christian nodded his head and spoke I could. "I'll tell the trackers to split up and cover all areas before heading to her pack,"