Chapter 22

Jacob's P.O.V

It was dark but warm inside the room. You can't see anything but the three Elders that sat in what seems like the center of the room on their high chairs. There were two males, Elder Bennett, and Elder Brandon, and one female Elder Felicity. They all wore black robes that covered their faces. I can tell who from who because of the symbol on the top right corner of their robes that represents which pack they were originally from. I walked up just a few feet away from them and as I got a good distance between them I bowed. 

"No need to bow, Jacob," Elder Felicity said and with caution, I rise to my feet. "Now Jacob, tell us. Why do you think that you are worthy of the Alpha title?" Elder Bennett the question that I knew was coming. The question that up until this day I'm not sure about my answer to. But you know what, I don't want to give them an answer that I have to think about. I shouldn't have to think about my answer. I should be able to just tell them but I can't. Nothing I say will ever excuse the fact that I left my pack and gone rogue. I threatened to kill them, and that goes against what Alpha stands for. 

"I don't. I don't deserve the Alpha title. What I did three years ago was unacceptable and I know that. As an Alpha, I should've protected my pack, not threatened it. I've broken the vow of an Alpha before I even made it. I am not worthy to lead this pack," I said to them and there was silence afterward. "I know that I shouldn't have come here if this is what I thought... but the thing is I don't know. I don't know if I'm making the right choice and I just need the elder's input. To finalize my decision," I added softly. Preparing for the decision of a lifetime. 

Third person P.O.V 

Everyone stood outside the room silently, waiting for Jacob to walk through the room, becoming their new Alpha. The new leaders of the pack stood firmly on the steps in descending order of ranks. Ellie being the new Enforcer of the pack is on the top step, followed by the Delta, Gamma, and Beta. The last step is empty for the new Alpha. Seconds turned to minutes and minutes turned to hours. 

2 hours later

The pack started to become impatient and started to doubt that Jacob would be the next Alpha. "This is outrageous," a masculine voice from the crowd said out loud. He stood up and everyone turned their attention to him. "Stay in line please, sir," Christian, the Beta, said to the man. "What for? to wait on a kid to become Alpha? He's not an Alpha. If he was, he would've been out here already," the man shouted. "You do not know what is going on behind that door. None of us do. So I suggest you be quiet and wait for the Elders to make their decision," Christian continued to reason with the man even though he could easily throw him in the cells for disrespecting authority. "He's not gonna be the Alpha," someone else from the crowd said. This time it was a feminine voice. 

A woman stood up in the crowd and now all attention was on her. "He threatened to kill everyone in the pack 3 years ago or have you all forgotten that," she added with such sass and disrespect. "Why should he be the one to protect us when he was the one that threatened us!" the crowd started to agree and everyone was creating a fuss about Jacob becoming Alpha. "He doesn't deserve to be Alpha!"

"We don't want him here!" 

"How can we stand beside such a person!"

the crowd started throwing off some responses to the new leaders they didn't know how to respond to this course of action. They know how to handle themselves in the field when they are attacked to stop an army and such, but a riot by their pack they have no idea how to handle that. "That's enough," Christian said and everyone became silent. "All of you sit down and be patient, your all lucky that we haven't thrown you into a cell right for the disruption of the ceremony," Christian's voice boomed across the room and they all sat down one at a time. Some bow their heads but others still have anger in their eyes.