Chapter 44

Ellie's P.O.V

After 3 long and tedious hours on the highway getting home, we finally crossed over into the familiar territories of our home ground. A breath of relief touched all of us after seeing the trees and the familiar route onto the pack house. Staying off your pack lands without being able to shift can be very uncomfortable and make wolves feel homesick. Even rogues. The only difference with them is that that feeling never goes away because they don't have a pack to go to. Now come to think of it. My sister doesn't have any home to go to. She's been feeling that feeling her entire existence. The more I think about it the more it saddens me but it also motivates me because I want to change that. I want her to feel welcome in this pack. I want her to feel welcome in my family, my home. 

The closer we got to the pack house I started to get more and more anxious. I feel like I want to jump out of this car and run the rest of the way. I'll reach there faster if I did. I will be with him, right? I would be in his arms, inhaling his scent right now if I did. But I didn't. It was...unprofessional. I heard my wolf make a scoff-like noise at me in the back of my mind which cause me to smile because it is indeed a lame-ass excuse to not jump out of a moving vehicle. 

"How are you feeling?"  I knew the answer before she even said it. She has a knack for always telling me she's OK even when she's not because she's afraid of worrying me. 

"Honest?" 

"Always,"

"I've been trying to put up a front for the longest time that it has become my default. That making sure that you make it through every injury, both heartbreaks and multitudes of 'are you ok that I haven't stopped to check on myself. I feel myself drifting away every second of the day and I'm scared Ellie. I'm scared of leaving because I'm not ready to go yet. 

But for the first time in 3 years...I have a feeling that I'm gonna be OK. I think that after everything we've been through, this is not where it ends for me or you. We're gonna be OK,"  she finished saying and I felt a tear slip from my eye afterward. And it wasn't tears of sadness this time, it was something else. Something better. 

"We're gonna be OK" I repeated and after a few moments, she cut the link off between us before going back to rest. "We're gonna be OK," I whispered to myself to hear it again because the words just sound so unreal but it was. I didn't realize it until she said it but I feel it too. That we're gonna be OK. 

"We're here," Brandon said just as we were about to approach the long driveway that leads to the pack house and after a few minutes, we thanked the driver before getting out of the car. "Thank you once again for accompanying me guys, I'll take it from here. I'll give Alpha Jacob the debrief, you guys can go home or go for a run or something," I said to them as soon as the car drove off. They all answered with "Yes Enforcer Ellie," before they were on their way. 

"Hey Stranger," I heard someone say behind me. I turned around and came face to face with my best friend Mike, who I have not been spending much time with lately. "Mike, hey," I went in for a hug and he didn't hesitate to respond. "Everything OK," he asked as soon as we pulled away. "Yeah, everything is good. I just got back from a small mission actually," I said with a smile as I folded my arms. Now that I'm looking at him I realized that he looks different. His muscles are more defined. I can tell by how tight his shirt looked on him. 

"My eyes are up here lovely," immediately my eyes snapped to his to find that he lifted an eyebrow at me in questioning but I saw a knowing smirk on his face. "Someone's been working out," I said to him not hiding the fact that I was checking him out but not in the way your thinking. I've only got eyes for one guy. "You've noticed," he took a step towards me.