Chapter 26

Jacob's P.O.V

Christian and I just got back to the pack house and into my new office when I saw a group of men and women standing in a line with Carl in front of them. I walked into the group not taking my eye off the men and women who now stood before me. "Is this all of them?" I asked Carl still not taking my eyes off them. I could hear their heartbeat rising rapidly and practically see the sweat coming from their forehead. They're nervous, I can tell. The stench of alcohol was coming off of them in waves. 

"This is all of them Alpha. All of them are supposed to be on patrol tonight," Carl said to me and I nod my head at him. I stepped forward and I saw some flinch but others stood their ground. But then I remembered. "Carl when we're done here, I need you to investigate what happened by the Northern borders. Take anybody you need just get me results," he nods his head before leaving. I turned back around to face the men and women and began to ask questions. "There was an attack at the Northern Borders. The same borders that you were supposed to be guarding. Why weren't you there?" I asked them. 

They looked at each other before replying. "We got word that another patrol team was taking over so we left to join the party," the only female of the group said."Did you ever think that you should've waited for the team to show up before you ditched?" they looked at each other and then bowed their heads in shame. I take that as a no then. "You wanted to attend a party so bad that you left the pack unprotected. They were a rogue on the territory," which caught their attention because they all looked up with wide eyes. 

"You left your post so rapidly all to just attend a party?" 

To say I was angry was an understatement. They put the lives of every pack member for a party. I guess my anger showed on my face because I saw the fright on their faces when they looked at me. They must think that I can't control my wolf anymore. This is the exact opposite of what I wanted my pack members to think of me but at the moment I did not care. I have a right to be angry.

"Well speak would ya," 

"Jacob, a word," Carl whispered in my ear saying. I gave them a low growl and they flinched in their spots before turning towards them. "What is it?" I asked them in a harsh tone. Of course, I didn't mean to but I'm still angry at the guards. Christian was leaning on my desk and Carl stood in front of us. "Look at this," Carl whispered to me so the guards would not hear us as he handed me a piece of paper. I took it and I recognized that it was the timetable of the guards at each border. "Something got me thinking. They said that they got word that another patrol team was heading to take their place but that other team never showed up," Carl said. "Yeah we know this already," Christian said to him but Carl nod his head. 

"No, what I'm saying is that there was no other patrol team that was assigned to that border. Every warrior that goes on patrol always signs the register paper before even approaching the borders and their names were the last ones on the list for the Northern Borders. That paper," he pointed at the paper in my hand, "is the timetable for every warrior, and this," he turned to take another paper off my desk and hand it to me. "This is the register itself. I took the liberty of getting the original one and not a copy," I looked at both papers while Carl continued to explain himself.

"So you're saying that there was no other patrol team?" I asked him and he nod his head. "But that doesn't make any sense. Why lie when we were eventually gonna find out and they would be taken to the Alpha?" Christian asked Carl. "I don't think they would," Carl answered. Now I'm even more confused. "So what do you think?" I asked him and he sighed. "What if they weren't lying? I mean if they were Jacob would sense it right away. His senses would be haywire but they weren't. Now unless you can find a way around a walking lie detector what if the only possible explanation for this is that they did not think they were lying? What if someone told them the lie and they passed it on, what if -"