Chapter 27

Jacob's P.O.V

It's been 2 days since I've been Alpha of the Midnight Moon Pack, 2 days since the attack, and two days since Ellie has been in the hospital unresponsive. The fight that went down with her and that rogue did a number on her. I still remember the way that I found her. So pale and full of blood. The image of her like that still haunts my dreams. I haven't been able to sleep well because I keep thinking that if I didn't go for that long ass run then she wouldn't have gone to the Northern Borders alone that night. I would have helped her fight off those rogues. 

Ever since Carl, Christian, and I had a suspicion that there is a mole in the pack we haven't trusted anyone with any type of information that we may have. Only those in the executive groups know about this which includes the former and current leaders of the pack and as soon as Ellie is out of the hospital she will be informed too. We had Alice into an interrogation about telling the guards to leave their post under my command but she had an alibi. She was with her friends the entire time, which is kinda unusual because I didn't picture someone like her could have friends. She always seems like the serious type and to leave lets anything distract her. 

Anyways we checked out her story and turns out she was telling the truth. They went shopping and all those other girls' stuff and they had the receipt to prove it. Even with a tight story like that I still don't believe her so I kept a close eye on her. Now we're wondering if what the guards say was true or not. I sensed their heartbeats whenever we are in interrogation with them, separately of course, and nothing. They were telling the truth. This was all very confusing and it's getting on my nerves. Carl, Christian, and I have been working nonstop to find out what happened because what happened at the Northern Borders was serious and the only person who can tell us anything is a coma. 

It can be that the rogues have a new weapon and that we should expect an attack any time soon but what bugs me is why didn't Ellie didn't just call someone when things started to get out of hand. Why did she wanna go at it alone? What was she thinking? I slammed my fist down on my desk in frustration. I rest my elbows on the table and covered my face with my hand. 

The past two days have been a lot to take in. I did not expect that my first role of being Alpha would be this .....frustrating. I sigh into my hands and that's when I heard a small knock on my door before my mother came in. She and dad were supposed to be away on vacation but with what happened with Ellie they postponed. I tried to convince them to go but they wouldn't hear from me. "Hey mom," I said as I leaned back in my seat. "Hey Jacob," she said with that dashing smile of hers as she closed the door behind her and walked over to my desk, and sat on it. "How are you, my son?" She asked. She looked gorgeous as always with the yellow sunflower dress that she has on along with her yellow flats and her hair was in a very neat ponytail. 

My first instinct was to tell her that I am fine but I can't lie to my mother. Or rather as a matter of fact since he was the Alpha and is a walking lie detector but when I was a kid they let me get away with so many things. I wondered why but then I realized it was to teach me a lesson. So I don't lie to them as often as I did back then because it was so much better, to tell the truth than to lie. So I told her the truth. "I'm frustrated, angry, confused, all of the above," I sigh as I sigh again. "And it's not about me being Alpha," I added quickly. 

"OK, do you mind telling me what makes you frustrated, angry and confused?" she asked as she wrapped her hand around her knee like the lady she was. "I have a lot of work to do mom," I said as I leaned up in my chair and took back up the pen off my desk to finish the paperwork that was supposed to be finished yesterday. I touched my hand gently. "Son," I looked up at her and she looked at me with her soft brown eyes. "That can wait. Now talk to me," she said. I placed my pen down and leaned back in my chair.