Chapter 16

Ellie's P.O.V

I'm now sitting at one of my favorite spots in the pack. A cliff near the waterfall. But surrounded by greenery. I found this place when I was on one of my morning runs and decided to take a new route until I came upon this place. How I find comfort here, especially when it rains heavily. The sound of the thunder, a flash of lightning, and the smell of the rain before it comes. When it does, it falls to the earth like stars falling from the sky and adding more water to the waterfall.

The waterfall just seems to always describe my mood. The way the water crashed down onto the seabed seemed like a ton of expectations from people, betrayal from my mate, the demise of my wolf, etc all falling on me. So many things are on my mind right now and I can't seem to think straight. Not even the waterfall is helping me.

I sigh.

I got up quickly in a defensive stance as soon as I heard a twig just snap. I'm not the only one out here. "Show yourself, " I commanded. Then a scent caught my nose. Pinecones and Firewood. I release a breath of relief as soon as I noticed it was him and then he showed himself.

"What are you doing here Jacob?" I asked as I sat back into my current position with my legs up and my hands hanging on top of it as I stared back at the waterfall. "I just wanted to see how you're doing," he answered as he sat down beside me. "I'm doing great," I said to him in what I hoped was a tone that will get through his head I wanted to be left alone.

"I don't believe that... I'm not leaving Ellie. I'm not leaving you alone. From what I can tell is that you've been alone for a long time and I'm not gonna be one of those people who will just let you... even if I am annoying you," he said with a little laughter in his voice when he said his last statement which caused the corner of my lips to curve up a bit in amusement.

"I honestly don't understand how you could be cheery right now," I said to him after 5 minutes of silence. It just didn't make any sense. Everyone expected him to come back with a different personality. Not that I remember much about him because I never cared to be in his presence. Even if the Alpha Brian and Luna Aubrey are like family to me I never had many encounters with their son. He was barely around the house anyway and would train with his father. Only a handful of times that I would see him on the training grounds and if he was, he was never in my group. Everyone prepared themselves to see him as distant and cold but he's the exact opposite. He lost his mate for crying out loud. He should be acting worse than me. Makes me feel as if what I went through was just child's play. 

His mate. Come to think of it I've never even seen his mate. I'd never heard of her until I came back to the pack after being on a trip with Mike for 7 months traveling the pack. My parents thought it would be a good idea to get out of the pack to clear my head and see what else is out there. Mike happens to be traveling at that time and because he was already a warrior of the pack Alpha Brian allowed it. I was never here when Jacob met his mate or when she died. Which means I was never here when he threatened the pack. Secretly I think my pack members hated me for that. I was never there when they needed me. Judging by the time difference, I could tell that I met my mate 2 months before Jacob did and I got my title right after he left for Echo House. It's no wonder I didn't hear anything until I got back.

I felt his gaze on me but I didn't turn around to meet it. 

"You've lost so much more than me. You should be acting out. You should be cold-hearted, distant even...but you are not. You cheer people up when they're down. You care about others and you put a smile on your face every day to show people that you are OK. To show them that you healing," I shook my head at the thought because I realized how different we are when it comes to pain. I turn to look at him. "I don't do that. I don't smile because I want them to know that I'm healing. I smile because I want them to leave me alone...and stop looking at me as if I'm fragile or broken. I smile because I want them to back off and move on with their lives so they can stop sniffing around mine," I said to him with a heavy chest. "And yeah it makes me seem cold or maybe ungrateful for the fact that I have people worried about me. That if I push everyone away I am left behind in my pain,"