Chapter 49

Ellie's P.O.V 

I thought I killed him. I thought I rid the world of him the morning I got Miranda's wand away from him. I thought I killed him. I thought he was dead. 

Yet here he stood at the center of the battlefield looking like an eternity trapped in that mountain was child's play. He looked the same as the last time I saw him. The same is yet different at the same time. There's a different energy around him. It is darker than the last and more concerning. His eyes were now obsidian black instead of their natural hazel brown. He looks stronger and more powerful than he ever was when I was on top of that mountain.  And if I'm being honest, it scares me. 

He looked around the clearing at the dead bodies laying around. It's like he's analyzing them for reasons I don't know. After what seemed like hours and a smile that appeared on his face, he made eye contact with me. "Round 2," his voice is probably the only thing that has not changed since the last time we met, and believe it or not it brought me some kind of relief. It gave me a small amount of hope that maybe we can beat him. 

But that hope vanished as soon as saw what he did. With just a flick of the wrist, the dead bodies on the ground started to rise from the ground. Everyone took a step back in horror as we made contact with their black soulless eyes. 

"Do not show fear," all heads turn to Miranda. "These demons only get stronger when they feed on your fear," she added before her eye connected with mine for what felt like a minute before she nod her head my way. That's when I knew it was time. 

We can't kill them. Our weapons would have no effect on them. Bringing someone back from the dead is pure dark magic. It's one thing to bring someone back but it's another to bring back their soul as well. Sometimes the person that you bring back is just a shell of a person. Our weapons won't do anything to them. We could keep killing them but they would just keep coming back. We would have to kill the source. Again. 

I turned to face Jacob once he was done prepping the warriors for battle once more. He caught my eyes and suddenly the words got caught in my throat. There is just so much to say to him but it feels like there is not enough time to say it. I finally found happiness and just 24 hours later, iron Fist threatens to take it away. It seems like the universe is against me. But I know deep down that I would be fighting until my last breath to make sure that nothing happens to him, or to this pack. 

"Hey," he whispered as he cupped my face in his hands. His eyes still held hope. Hope that we will make it out of this alive and well. That at the end of the day we would come out victorious and I wish I had the same feeling as he did. I wish I had that hope. But at last, I only feel terrified at what could happen once Miranda lowers her wards. 

"We're gonna be Ok," he offered a small smile of comfort. I shook my head in agreement with him before saying. "There's something I need to tell you. And I need you to listen to me. Don't say anything, just listen," I said to him and he looked at me confused but nodded his head regardless. I made an attempt to speak but then we heard the creatures banging against the ward. 

"What are they doing?" Jacob asked Miranda. "They're trying to break the ward. Finding a weak point so they could break it," Miranda replied. Each bang caused the pack warriors to step back in fright but one quick look from Jacob stopped them in their tracks. "Will it hold?" he asked. 

"I don't know. I haven't used my wand in 22 years. Magic's a bit dormant," she added.

"Ready the warriors," she said before we went to attend to the ward. 

"Jacob," I whispered and he turned to face me.

"I need to tell you," I paused. 

"I need you to know that you are the best thing that has ever happened to me since Lucas. I was a shell of a person before I met you. I didn't have any reason to keep on going, to keep living...until I met you. Since I've met you, you've been this beacon of hope for me, for the pack...and a true friend. I don't know when feelings got involved, I don't know when I started falling so damn hard for you but I did. I am falling for you, Jacob. You make me feel special and,"