Chapter 36

Ellie's P.O.V 

I went over to Uncle Ted and Aunt Mariah's house to apologize to them for my behavior earlier. If I was gonna face my mate then I have to know that everything is ok with me and my family. I knocked on the door and after a few minutes, Aunt Mariah answered. She looked drained. Her eyes were red from crying so much, her cheeks were torn and strained and she had her apron on which means that she was cooking. She always cooks when she's frustrated or sad or angry. My heart breaks remembering the words that I said to her. "I'm sorry," as soon as I said those words she hugged me tightly. "I didn't mean what I said. I never meant for you to cry," I kept saying. 

"It's ok, it's ok honey. We knew you would be upset. I'm sorry we didn't tell you earlier," she said as she held me by the doorway. "What are you cooking?" I asked her to cut the silence then stepped into the house and the delicious smell of different dishes reached my nose. "Just anything that comes to mind. Are you hungry?" she asked as we stepped into the kitchen. "Sure, but I wanted to talk to uncle Ted first," I said to her knowing that she will tell me where he is. "He's upstairs in our room," she told me with a soft smile. I thanked her before making my way to their room. The hallways are the same as I walked through them with ease. I walked passed my old bedroom which by now they've probably turned into something else, I wouldn't know. 

I could walk around this house with my eyes closed and not bump into anything because nothing has changed so far. Once I reached Uncle Ted's bedroom I didn't bother knocking. I walked straight in and I immediately spot uncle Ted by the balcony. Slowly I walked to him and once I was close enough I leaned on the balcony wall just like him. It looks like he didn't hear when I came in because once he looked surprised to see me. "Ellie," he whispered as if he didn't believe that I was there. 

"I'm sorry for the way that I acted. It was just easier to be angry than to look at things from your point of view. I know that everything you do, you always have a reason for it and I know that your reason was that you couldn't just step off the pack border without the Alpha's consent...even if it was for a baby," I said the last part within a whisper. "What I'm trying to say is that I am sorry Uncle Ted," 

"I went to look for her," he said and I snapped my head towards him. "What?" I asked. "I went to look for her the next day. I didn't know if what I saw was a basket but I was sure that there was someone else there...someone that I left behind," he lowered his head before continuing. "I went to Alpha Brian and he gave me the consent to look outside the pack borders. I didn't know what I was looking for and I didn't have a scent so I didn't have any evidence that someone was there. But I kept looking. I went to the nearby packs and ask if they have any new pack members and they said no. It took a while but I eventually stopped looking. I became frustrated because there was no other person there except for you but my guts tell me that there was...and I should've listened," he added before he looked away from me. "I've lived with that feeling for 22 years," he trailed off as he looked into the woods. 

"You looked for her," I whispered but I knew he heard me. "Of course," he answered. His voice held certainty. There was no reason for me not to believe him. He's not lying to me. Without saying anything else I hugged him. It didn't take him long to respond to the hug which makes me hug him tighter. "I'm sorry," I said again as he held the back of my head near his chest. Then I felt another pair of arms wrapped around me. I didn't need to look to know that it was Aunt Mariah. We knew she was there listening. She couldn't help herself. 

"Come on, Let's go downstairs to eat. I made too much food to go into the fridge,"  Aunt Mariah said as she pulled away from the hug and gestured for us to come downstairs. Once we got downstairs I saw a bunch of meals lined up on the kitchen island and baked goods on the counter beside the oven. She made my favorites.