18"

It was the last day of the term before the Christmas holiday and a fresh layer of snow covered the ground, dusting the Scottish hills

Alya sat in Defence Against Arts, their last lesson of the day, while she tried to block James out and listen to Professor Weasley.

"I have collected all your essays and today we shall be resuming on practicing the Partronus charm. You all know the incantation, off you go!"

The class had spent a few lessons practising the patronus charm and Alya was almost able to produce a corporal form. She was sure she would of done it earlier if James had not been distracting her constantly.

Alya grumbled to herself in annoyance as she tried to produce the charm while James rambled on beside her.

"Your hair smells nice. Have I told you that? Like cherries. Cherries are my favourite fruit. They remind me of you-"

"Potter!" Alya cut him off, "shouldn't you be practising instead of talking?"

"I don't need to, I can already produce my corporeal form. My dad taught me" he smirked smugly "My Dads is a Stag and my Mums is a doe. It used to be a Leopard but it changed when they had me. Mines the male version of my Grandma Rosaleés, a-"

"I really don't care. I'm just trying to get this right. I don't know why it's not working" she sighed frustratedly

"Oh, well that's because you're not saying it right" James shrugged

"What? And you're telling me this now?!"

"It's ex- pect- toe Patronum not ex-pecta- to Patronum " he explained

Alya glanced at James hesitantly, "oh, er thanks"

"You're welcome" he grinned before she raised her wand

Thinking of her happiest memory she let it fill her up, "expecto Patronum" she called as a burst of white light burst from her wand.

A happy expression tugged its way into Alya's face while James nearly fell off of his seat in shock. His mouth hung opened and eyes bulged at the sight of the Lioness prowling the classroom.

"Well done Miss Hill!" Percy exclaimed walking over to James and Alya, "how are you Mr Potter? Have you managed a corporeal patronus yet?"

The class turned their attention to the golden boy known as James Potter, all curious of his Patronus.

"Yes" James replied shortly

"Okay, and may you show us all?" Percy asked looking down at him through his glasses

"I don't really want to Professor" James answered shaking his head

"Well if I cannot see your charm then I cannot pass you" Percy huffed as he looked at James expectantly

"Can I show you after lesson? Please?" James asked, glancing at Alya through the corner of his eye.

"Fine, if you must" Professor Weasley sighed as he moved onto another pair.

"What was that about?" Alya asked turning to James with suspicion

"What was what?" James asked feigning fake confusion

"You know what. Since when do you deny an opportunity to show off?"

James only shrugged before picking up his quill and twiddling it in his fingers while he stared off into the distance thinking hard.

The class was over and Alya left James in his seat. He hasn't spoke to her since he'd seen her patronus and the quietness was very un-James like. Turing around to look at him she furrowed her eyebrows.

What was he hiding?

"Right Mr Potter" Percy started walking over, "I'll need to see that Patronus now"

James nodded as he took out of his wand.

"Expecto Patronum" he called as a white light shot out of his wand.

Percy and James watched as a lion prowled around the room where Alya's Lioness had stalked minutes earlier.

Percy nodded before writing something down and shooting James a knowing and understanding look.

James Potter could be a selfish person from time to time, there was no doubt about it. But in that defence against the dark arts lesson he stayed behind to make sure Alya wasn't embarrassed. He put her in-front of his own glory and popularity.

———————————————————————————
A/N

Can we just take a min to talk about how vi's patronus changed.

Also, I searched James patronus and it's actually a lion and I was like, woah. I said that was Rosaleés Patronus in a A/N in SA and was like, omg the link. James could of inherited it.

And the fact that Alya has the female version like Lily did and then Viola awh