Chapter 57

Hogwarts was in complete and utter chaos. Everything they had ever known was flipped upside-down at the new gossip that had been floating around the school during the past few days. As far as every student knew, James Potter's heart belonged to a certain red-head girl...to Lily Evans. So, when James Potter decided to stand up on the Gryffindor table declaring how beautiful his best friend was, every mouth in the Great Hall was dropped open in shock.

"...She shines brighter than the sun and all of the stars combined. I mean look at her, how can you not-," James' declaration was cut off by the small brunette sitting in front of him.

"Bloody fuck, James," a red-faced Elsie pulled on her best friend's pant leg to get him to sit down, "Sit your arse down."

He hopped off of the table, after being met by a slight round of applause from dreamily-looking girls and a smirking McGonagall, and sat back down in his seat. His arm swooped around Elsie's shoulders as the whole group began laughing hysterically,

"What? I'm just making sure everyone knows how beautiful you are," he winked at a blushing Elsie, as she rolled her eyes and shook her head at him.

"If you just go out with him, this wouldn't be a problem," Remus spoke through a smirk while shoveling his breakfast into his mouth, "After all, this is what you've always wanted."

"Just fucking go out with the git," Sirius dramatically pleaded while clapping his hands together in a begging motion, "We already had to deal with him doing this to Lily for 7 bloody years."

Both Lily and Elsie let out a chuckle as the former started agreeing with Sirius, "Black is right. Trust me, it only gets worse from here."

Her eyes widened as she shivered thinking about the embarrassment James had caused her over the past few years.

James held onto Elsie tighter while puffing his chest out and goofily smiling down at Elsie, "All in good times, lads."

You see, James had been taking the words Rory had told him quite literally. Meaning that every single day, he focused all his attention to showing Elsie quite literally what it means to be loved by James Potter. He showered her in compliments, he was extremely cuddly with her, but most of all, he reminded her of what love is supposed to feel like. However, he never crossed the line. He never asked her out, he never kissed her, he never told her he was in love with her. James wanted to do it right this time, he wanted to respect her boundaries. If she needed time, he would give her every last bit of it.

About two weeks after her and James had made up, Elsie found herself laying down on the couch by the fireplace in the common room. Her head was gently resting on Remus' shoulder as he studied for the NEWTS coming up. Elsie on the other hand was looking directly at the armchair next to her, the one where Sirius just so happened to be sitting in.

"Oi, Moony," Sirius eyed her wearily, scared as to why she was looking at him, "Why's she staring at me like that?"

Remus looked down at Elsie, chuckling at the devious smirk slipping onto her face before sarcastically responding, "Maybe she's fallen for your Sirius Black charm."

Elsie's teasingly stuck her tongue out in disgust as Sirius winked at her, "Knew you'd finally come to your senses one day."

"Wanker," she scoffed while chuckling into Remus' shoulder, "I just want to braid your hair again."

"No," he responded immediately while shaking his head side to side and crossing his arms over his chest, "It looks bloody amazing today. You're not ruining it."

"Pleaseeeeeee," she jutted her bottom lip out and gave Sirius her best puppy eyes, "For me?"

Sirius' face strained as if he was trying his best not to give into her pleas. He looked at Remus for help, but was simply met by a shrug and a sly comment, "You can't say no to that face."