Chapter 80

She sat down on the couch with shock-widened eyes and a trembling hand ripping through her hair in frustration. She couldn't believe it, she didn't want to believe any of it. The number kept growing at a pace so quick that she could barely remember, barely keep up with it anymore. And, that was the sad part about it. Lily Evans couldn't keep up with how many people had died in the month of July alone.

It started out with Edgar Bones on July 1st after being ambushed on a mission. Then came the death of the Prewett twins, who valiantly fought against a crowd of Death Eaters by themselves only for both of them to be finished off by Antonin Dolohov. Not even a week later, the Order was informed of the blowing to shreds of Benjy Fenwick, his body not even being able to be returned as a whole. And although those 4 deaths took a toll on the Order and everyone within it, nothing quite prepared them for the night of July 31st; the night which just so happened to be the very same night Lily arrived at the Potter household unexpectedly.

She didn't plan on going there at first, but after the traumatic event that had just occurred a few hours earlier, she knew she couldn't stay at home anymore. It wasn't safe for her family, it wasn't even safe enough for her. But then again, Lily didn't think anywhere was safe anymore. Not when 5 more deaths were added just from today day alone.

You see, Lily had always been a stubborn girl, never letting anyone else tell her what she should or shouldn't do. It was in her blood to fight fiercely for who and what she wants, and even after tonight that was not going to change. Not even after she saw one of her best friends, their parents and brother, and their girlfriend laying lifeless on the floor of their house. Not even when she fell to her knees clutching onto Marlene's dead body in hopes that she would start breathing again. Not even when the words 'All Mudbloods will die' were carved into the wood of a halfblood family's house just above where all of their bodies were lined up. No, Lily Evans was stubborn; she didn't want to go into hiding like everyone begged her to. No, she wanted to fight with her friends and avenge Marlene's death.

When all the members of the Order had met up at The Burrow after the knowledge of the McKinnon's and Dorcas' death spread, Lily made sure to make this known. She pointedly ignored Remus' and Sirius' comments about how she was a muggle and was at a bigger risk of dying than anyone else there. She darted her eyes away from the knowing and saddened stare of Professor McGonagall. And hardest of all, it took everything in her not to listen to Molly Weasley's, who was still mourning the death of her brothers, pleading to do what's best and go into hiding until things get a little better. But no, Lily refused to give up fighting. She had nothing else to lose, in her mind; Elsie was gone, Marlene was dead, and Alice had a baby to look after. Everyone she loved was slowly slipping from her grasp, and Lily felt that she needed to fight to make up for this loss.

She thought she had convinced everyone, until Alice grabbed her arm just before she was about to apparate away from The Burrow. And the conversation was one that would replay over and over in her head, and ultimately made the decision for her.

"Lily," Alice spoke so softly and so sadly that the ginger girl had barely noticed she said anything.

Lily turned her head around to see Alice's eyes glazed over with both tears and worry, "Alice."

The two had already collapsed into each other once that night, just a few hours earlier when they both discovered Marlene's body on the ground. But staring into Alice's eyes felt as if they were reliving the moment all over again.

"Lily, y-you have to listen," the brunette pleaded with her, the grip on Lily's arm not loosening one bit, "Please, you're a muggle-born and it's not-,"

"Alice, I have to keep trying," she spoke out sternly, cutting Alice off before she even had a chance to lecture her about what to do like everyone else did, "If I stop fighting, t-then Marlene's death means nothing. It means that Vol...You-Know-Who...holds power over me, it means he wins."