#28: Red flower hairpin

HAYOON | SOME MINUTES EARLIER FROM THE PRESENT

I was hanging out inside my room when I decided to change into my comfortable casual clothes. I picked one of some of the neat large shirts that I own and some comfortable shorts as always. I proceeded to remove my uniform and hang it by the hook attached to the wall.

I already carried on changing into my new casual clothes when my mind can't help bugging me if I locked the door or not. My mind became fully divided at that point and that made me think about what to think and to do.

'Nahhhhh... it's impossible that I forgot to lock such a thing. I've always not failed to lock it.' The other conscious part of my mind said.

'But what if I didn't? What can be the worst I can imagine can happen?' The other one said.

I stopped wearing my shirt and started to stare at my drawer standing by the wall. I spaced out thinking whether what I thought should win and I later decided to settle for the first one.

"Yep, I obviously locked it." I chuckled and wore my shirt quickly as possible, but quietly ran to the door to finally get the answers I was looking for.

'Oh hell nah— I DIDN'T— VOIEHVNAOHUAHVIAKEHAIEHOIA'

My eyes quickly widened and felt my breath quietly hitched. I started to freak out quietly and one thought made it all worse, I INVITED A BOY IN THE HOUSE FOR GOD'S SAKE.

"Shhh Hayoon, don't think anything bad." I exhaled some air to calm myself. "Just open the door and maybe this will be a good time to expect to see somebody outside to greet."

And so I did. I suddenly opened the door and saw a human hanging outside my unlocked door. But thankfully, I was able to maintain my posture and speak casually as I can like nothing just happened.

"Oh? Jeonghan-sunbae what are you doing here?" I spoke, forcing a confused look to make it all a little believable.

"Oh, n-nothing! Look I-I got the first aid kit!" He said as I eyed sweat coming from his forehead.

I guess he also felt the hotness of the temperature in our house huh?

"Oh good! Go inside and I'll clean your wound for you." I smiled and opened the door a little wider, showing him he was welcome to go inside.

"S-Sure! H-Hehehe..."

...

And there he was, a senior studying from the same school I am, sitting on top of my bed. He shortly handed me the first aid kit resting in his hands and he obviously didn't know what to do after that point on.

"U-Uhm... sunbae?" I called out.

"Yes?" He looked at me with both eyebrows raised.

"Can you face me? I'm going to clean your wound now..."

I can tell Jeonghan-sunbae was taken back a little but followed what I said. I suddenly leaned closer with a wet towel in my hand and gently cleaned his wound on his lip. I later applied pressure on his lip for 5-10 minutes until the blood stopped bleeding.

He did let out a couple of hisses at first but he got comfortable sooner and later. When the blood was finally swept and cleaned, I quickly ran downstairs to get an ice pack and covered it with cloth. I gave it to him and I told him to just keep applying it while I cleaned the mess we made.

"Hayoon-ah."

"Mhm, sunbae?" I hummed and looked up.

"Thank you so much for all the help you have done for me." He struggled to smile, which made me slightly scold him about it.

"I-It's okay sunbaenim, you should stop putting some struggle in your lips and it'll hurt you more if you keep doing it." I said that made him giggle that sounded really—

lovely.

"Didn't I already tell you not to call me sunbae or sunbaenim? I already told you about that when we first met. Just call me Jeonghan, it's fine with me really." He added.

"I know, but it just feels weird when I call you by your first name."

"Why? Aren't you still comfortable with me?"

The question got me off-guard as he stared at me blankly. With the ice pack away from his lip, I was left stammering just by thinking of an answer. Instead of coming up with at least a sentence, I was distracted staring at his features.

With his long blonde hair continuously brushing because of the strong breeze coming from the electric fan, his attractive eyes looking straight at my soul...

God, he looks so sexy—

"Don't worry, I'm not expecting a good response. Just call me Jeonghan, please."

"Yes, sunbae- I mean J-Jeonghan..." I smiled awkwardly in the hope to cover my mistake as he just grinned joyfully when he heard me speak his name without any honorifics to support it.

"That's right, now you call me like that whenever you need my help."

"I mean I—"

"Just call for my name when you feel scared..." I paused as he began to slowly lean closer and closer, making me freeze in my spot. "whenever you feel unsafe and when you just feel the world is being against you..."

"Just call my name and I'll be there to protect you."

With only inches apart, I only feel unknown sparks sparking inside me. I felt dozens of butterflies inside my stomach and I can feel my cheeks turning in many shades of red. I can't do anything but just stare straight at his eyes, waiting for something to happen next.

And indeed, something happens next.

He broke our distance but not what you expect, he backed away. He proceeded to get something from his pocket and took out something very familiar.

He simply handed it to me and pointed his eyes towards it, signaling me to take it from him. I followed and looked at it, looking back at him again later.

"W-Wait, where did you find this? I thought I already lost this..." I mumbled.

"How did you know this red flower hairpin is mine?"

...

I can already spot she was surprised to see the hairpin was in my possession all along. After remembering snatching the hairpin and saving Hayoon on the same day, it just makes me smile all day long and makes me forget my problems.

I've been taking care of the pin very carefully until I thought this was the right time to give it to her again.

"Well, I think I have seen you wear the pin one time and I quickly remembered it was yours." I took the hairpin again and continued to put it in the side of her hair.

"T-Thank you but-"

"You're welcome." I smiled and slid my hand through her hair smoothly but keeping it less-terrifying.

The atmosphere went back to being an awkward one and I quickly noticed how she tried to avoid my gaze. I also copied her and looked away, memorizing the look of her room for some future advantages.

But as I was doing that, we were interrupted by a rapid knock and news that I, myself rather, don't wanna hear any sooner.

.

.

.

"Hayoon-ah! Did you hear the news?! Cha Ella and her friends were found dead by a sewer!" Her mother freaked out of fear. "You better check this out!"