#43: Regret it a lot

HAYOON | TIME SKIP: NEXT DAY, AFTERNOON

"Wonwoo? I-I wanted to talk about something with you..." I said with a shaky voice as I held my phone tightly against my ear. " I think I have something that would help you... l-like a lot."

"Why are you stuttering so much? Did something happen? What is it? I'm really sorry Hayoon but I'm in the middle of something important—"

"Look! You better go here before I change my mind. J-Jeonghan, he just told me plenty of things..." The opposite line became dead quiet, making me a whole lot more nervous.

"Fine, I'll go there as quickly as I can." He hung up.

The beep later disappeared and I again paced around my room. His last letter was still in my possession and I guarantee it wouldn't take long after it would soon be used as evidence against his painful crimes.

I do love him, but I think this was the right thing to do.

The sun was busy shining bright outside while I just kept going back and forth, left and right. Mom and dad still aren't home yet but at least they spared some time to check up on me yesterday, but I thought I wasn't still ready to tell them everything.

'Holding this letter right now gives a lot of responsibility, a responsibility to give justice to those Jeonghan killed nevertheless.' I heard my mind said.

Even though I may sound or look fine right now, it wasn't near what I experienced last night. After pretending I was all good to Inha, I ran to my room and cried my eyes out for a man once again. I sobbed, shouted, and slept my sadness away... just giving my feelings permission to flow out.

"Did Wonwoo already arrive?" I mumbled.

I suddenly heard a loud car stop exactly in front of my house that caused me to take a very short peek outside my window. I quickly went downstairs and exited my home, making me think that Wonwoo just did arrive.

I went near and stared at the tinted windows, until—

.

.

.

"GET OFF FROM ME! GET OFF— NO!" I screamed my lungs out but to be just unheard, what do they want from me?

I poured all my remaining strength to get away but a girl against two men is just not it. They successfully pulled me in soon after but before I was knocked unconscious, my eyes recognized one of the men in the car.

No, my ears rather.

Because when the man spoke that familiar raspy and intimidating voice, I was confused why the same man I bumped into yesterday in the park where I thought Jeonghan was is now kidnapping me.

Please don't be a coincidence.

...

WONWOO

"HAYOON NO! HAYOON—" I stopped to give myself some time to breathe, causing me to lose the car from my sight during the process.

I was already near the gate when I spotted a suspicious car parked in front. I decided to stop nearby, a very wrong choice. My eyes were glued to the exact car but it changed when I saw Hayoon leave her home and run towards it.

She looked unsure about the car but my world turned when the back door opened and attempted to pull her in. I frantically unbuckled my seatbelt to save her but I was too late again, they already started to drive away.

"UGH!" I frustratingly stomped the ground and brushed through my sweaty hair with my fingers, also allowing the anxiety to take over my ocean of thoughts.

I remembered the plate number vividly so I raced back to the police station and sprinted to the chief police as soon as I came. I told him everything and wrote down the plate number for my other senior police officers to investigate.

After some convincing, I and a couple of other officers checked Hayoon's home. The others didn't know what to look for but fortunate for us, a neighbor not far away also caught the scene happening. He also volunteered to check his CCTV if it caught something.

And luckily it did.

After some hours of looking for some possible left shreds of evidence, I was instructed to call Hayoon's parents. I called Hayoon's mom through my phone and told her the news, the poor woman doesn't really deserve this all.

"Thank you for contacting me! My husband and I will be there as soon as possible." She sobbed through the phone.

"And Wonwoo... if you can, please save my daughter. I'm counting on you." She hangs up.

After that was done, I checked my wristwatch and realized I wasn't still hearing anything. I started to go impatient so seeing the nearest senior police officer, I thought why not ask some questions.

"Senior, out of respect, but really? There are still no updates? Dusk is already approaching and—"

"Wonwoo can't you just shut up for a minute!" The older male barked while massaging his nose bridge. "We're trying our best so just sit somewhere else and wait! I already told the others that we will be leaving this place in 15 minutes—"

"What do you mean?! We can't just leave this place and disregard the fact that she can be in danger!" I barked back with a stronger ring in my tone.

The senior became quiet and made the poor choice to open his mouth again. He was going to lecture me about 'respect' and remind me 'that he's older' but it didn't happen. We were immediately interrupted by the chief and told us that we needed to visit a particular location.

"The guys back at the station just sent it and they found the car stopped here." He pointed at a spot on the map on his phone. "He said we should check it out and maybe Ms. Kang is being held captive there."

My eyes glistened with hope so I already took the honor to tell our other backup to prepare their cars and follow us. Despite the fact that they were being commanded by a small young man, they still followed what I said.

After leaving the neighborhood, we fearlessly drove our cars through the dark and slightly lighted road. The place was quite far but there's no absolutely nothing that is going to stop me from saving Hayoon from the potential danger she may be facing at this moment.

"Wonwoo, be honest."

"Be honest about what uncle— I mean c-chief." I corrected myself timidly, getting a chuckle in return.

"It's okay. I also didn't get the chance to tell you to thank you for following my orders. Even though I just told you to guard her for weeks... it looks like you want to guard her forever, huh?"

"Well, uncle, I guess so." I sighed and stared at the windshield. "Who can blame if a person falls in love unexpectedly? It sounds cliche but it's actually true, it's kinda shocking."

Instead of a glimmer of calmness in my expression, it was still the same uneasiness I have been feeling. I fidgeted around with my fingers until I received a light pat on the back, making that anxious feeling lessen.

"You know son, if you hadn't told her yet, this is a sign to tell her any sooner. Okay?" Uncle softly advised, letting his words stuck in my head. "Well, after the girl recovers from this incident, that's when you choose if you'll get the opportunity."

"Because if not, I'll say that you will regret it a lot."