#40: Break connections

JEONGHAN | POLICE STATION

At this moment, I was sitting at a lonely jail cell just after random old men finished asking me utterly absurd questions. Both of my hands were still handcuffed at this point and it really hurts my wrists, but not much it pained me how they just dragged me away from my darling like that.

The questions I was asked were maintained simple but I knew they were waiting patiently for me to slip or confess something. I let my streamed tears dry in my cheeks and kept my innocent act throughout the interrogation, enough to make them disappointed and leave me alone for the meantime.

"Get up, a lawyer just came to visit you." An officer walked in and opened the cell, leading the way to a private room.

I was properly led to the direction where that 'room' is and allowed me to settle with a very new random guy I just now met. He looked like he was around his 50's and he did dress very well, with quite a sense of touch in every detail.

"You can call me Mr. Jo and I know you haven't met me, but I do know your father quite greatly. I'm here to pass a message that your father wanted me to tell you so listen carefully if you want to leave this place quickly." He said and placed his file case in front of me, making me scoff.

"As expected, I knew you were sent by that old man. Even though I really don't want to get any help from him, I'll let it pass for my situation right now. Very different and rare for me to do, I admit." I said with a mix of confidence and blunt at the same time.

"Yes, but a very good decision for you to make Mr. Kim—"

"Mr. Yoon." I corrected him, slightly irritated.

He cleared his throat and continued. "I mean, Mr. Yoon."

The whole room became quiet but he was able to carry on and break the awkwardness happening between us. He explained all that I need to do in case someone issues a trial and as a 'good' listener I am, I memorized all of it and pasted it inside my head.

"Now that I told you all what you need to do, everything is already done in that part." Mr. Jo muttered while he flipped through layers of paper, before putting his hands together and laying his eyes on me.

"After I leave and report to your father, there's one thing left that I need to rightly resolve."

I glanced up at him and looked away in a split second. "I'm listening."

He sighed from my action. "We know your father can solve problems in a snap of a finger but we also both know everything has a catch when it comes to him."

"So what's the catch this time then? Do I need to wipe somebody from existence again? If I'm right, I can—"

"No, we're both surprisingly wrong." He caught me off, causing me to raise an eyebrow.

"What do you mean? Every time that he does these 'conditions', it's always like that. Then what do I need to do?" I questioned him with a more direct and confronting tone.

"I admit, it was a weird command coming from him at first and I don't know why. But I personally guess it's because I still don't know how it's going to make an impact on you yet." He held his breath. "But here it is, let's go straight to the point."

"Kang Hayoon, is she someone special to you?"

My ears quickly pricked up to the particular name and I was fast to return eye contact to him. My expression became hopeful when I heard her name but a single realization was all it took when my face changed.

"W-Why... Why did my father mention her n-name?" I stammered while I hesitated to ask, but needed to for my own sake.

Mr. Jo let out a sad chuckle in return and spoke. "He wanted you to break up any connections you have with her and same with any friends you may have in school. He wants to transfer you to another place in the states and plans to make you a professional hitman."

"This is ridiculous—"

"No, it's completely not. I know this is the only first time we met but I know it's important to tell you everything before you choose your move, Jeonghan." He seriously advised me. "This may look all funny and 'pure ridiculous' to you but it has large consequences if you don't follow him."

"THEN TELL ME WHAT IS IT THEN—"

"Ms. Kang Hayoon, Lee Inha and even possibly, Mr. Kim Mingyu," He paused and gulped.

"He's going to kill them all, torture them to their last breath and burry them without dignity like every one of his victims— DO YOU WANT THAT TO HAPPEN TO THEM?!" Mr. Jo snapped and slammed his hands on the metallic table, making my entire stomach turn traumatically.

Nervous and heart-wrenching sweat appeared on my forehead but the other part of my body was busy overflowing with anger. The lawyer does have a good point but it's just... I just can't leave her alone.

If I leave, who's going to protect her?

What's going to happen with the relationship I have waited for my entire life for?

What happens when someone mistreats her and I'm not there?

My head became chaotic.

"Jeonghan, to me, just follow your father's orders." He breathed out. "It's hard and I know your father's condition is an absolute stab in the heart— But it's for the best for all the people involved."

It really took some big thinking on my side but gathering all that can happen, I finally chose to agree with the old man's terms.

"W-Well then," I clenched my fist under the table while I spoke, also catching his attention. "As long as he just doesn't touch any of the people you mentioned, I'm going to act like an obedient servant for him as long as he wants."

When everything was finally cleared up, Mr. Jo soon packed all his stuff and got up from the chair he sat in. He fixed his appearance and everything but right before he walked out, he decided to advise me one last thing.

"Even though your father is a very great ally of mine at first glance, let's say he also did some cruel things to us back in the days. Even if he doesn't know it."

"And what I mean by us," He pulled back his steps and turned his back just to face me. "I mean by me and your mother."

I froze while Mr. Jo just stood there, smiling through his sadness.

.

.

.

"To continue and fulfill her last wish, I'm here to guide you until you can redeem your freedom from him, soon."