#29: Is it really instinct?

XX/XX/XX

'Breaking news, 3 female teenage corpses were just found dead by a sewer right exactly this noon. One was quickly identified as Cha Ella, known as a daughter of a very wealthy businessman, as the other 2 girls were still up for identification. It was told that the 3 girls were missing over 24 hours until an anonymous person called the authorities.' The news anchor continued.

'According to the medics who visited the scene, the cause of death can be from the individual gunshots that each victim received. It was still up for investigation if this can be a work of a single person. It was also reported that one of the victims, Cha Ella, experienced some mild poisoning before this tragedy happened.'

.

.

.

'The motive of this killing was still unclear.'

...

JEONGHAN | SOME MINUTES LATER

"Oh my gosh, that's really her!" Hayoon covered her mouth out of shock and disbelief.

"Ella is really dead!" She exclaimed.

I was still staying in Hayoon's house as the three of us watched what I eventually did yesterday. Concerning looks can be seen from them as I pretended to listen carefully while the truth is, some of my unwanted thoughts were starting to come in.

'How did they find them so quick? Did I made the killing sloppy?' I thought, watching the highly blurred pictures from the scene flashed through the screen.

'So I guess hiding three dead corpses by the sewer wasn't really a good hiding spot after all. At least I and the gang didn't forget to erase our fingerprints from them. But I did wear my mask when we dumped them right?' I asked myself until I was interrupted by Hayoon's mother.

"How do you think will your schools will react?" Hayoon's mother faced both of us. "Do you think it was the same attacker?"

I was confused about what she was talking about when I realized they were actually talking about me, and the incident when I first met Hayoon a few months ago. I felt slightly angry about it at first— but who can blame her anyway?

"Do you really think it was him? Do you think he shifted his killing plan to a bigger one?" Hayoon asked while I just stayed uncomfortably quiet and very annoyed.

"Didn't he attack and nearly kill you? I think he really did this!" Her mother freaked out and looked back at the television.

"But I promise, I'm not letting that cruel man go near you again." Her mother said and hugged her daughter as I still stood afar, letting her think that promising such a thing is a good idea.

'Sorry to break it to you Ms. Kang, you're kind and all to me— but I think you already have broken your promise.'

...

HAYOON

As I was hugging mom, I glanced towards Jeonghan as he wore an expressionless look on his face. I simply smiled at him that he quickly and instinctively returned. I continued to calm mom from her worries when I randomly recalled one exact moment from my and Jeonghan's conversation earlier, which is just completely out of place right now.

.

.

.

SHORT FLASHBACK

"Well, I think I have seen you wear the pin one time and I quickly remembered it was yours." He took the hairpin from the palm of my hands and continued to place it in my hair.

"T-Thank you but-"

"You're welcome." He smiled before he slid his hand downwards to my hair after removing it.

.

.

.

PRESENT

Yeah, that one time when he casually cut me from speaking and from telling him something! I know this is very weird and all— but it kinda sounds alarming. It's actually something that I wanted to point out that seemed very off about his story.

'I only wore that hairpin a couple of times inside my house and only outside the school grounds.' I thought as I stared at his figure, not wanting him to catch me looking at him suspiciously.

'But when I first brought it to school, I didn't remember me wearing it or whatsoever... well until I purposely made it fall from my pocket when I was taken...'

I buried my face back to my mother's shoulder again and finally took my eyes off him. 'Is it possible that it's just by instinct? But he obviously lied despite the facts. But if it is really by instinct, how can he be so confident when he gave it to me?'

...

JEONGHAN | TIME SKIP: AT THE KIM RESIDENCE

"So, how's the visit to Hayoon's house? Did you hear the news about Ella getting killed? " My brother asked as I flopped beside him, visibly exhausted.

"Yeah, and it's the worst and a big party ruiner." I complained as Mingyu just kept laughing and jokingly handed me a can of coke. "I swear I'm going to find and kill whoever that anonymous person who reported it."

"Sure you go do that— BUT ALSO! I actually didn't felt bad about her body getting recovered like I expected myself to be. I mean I guess it's because I just came from a short date with Inha, oh jeez she's so dreamy..." Mingyu reminisced about the moment and grinned widely.

"But don't worry brother, you'll get your moment with Hayoon soon."

I went to give him a glare and just rolled my eyes at him. "Whatever."

As we watched the TV with only the two of us to keep us company, we suddenly heard a loud rapid knock on the door. The door goes on to open itself later to show a very frantic maid, like a genuinely 'I'm scared of my life' type of one.

"Youngmasters, your father is both looking for you to go in his office and he really looked angry!" She informed and bowed deeply.

"Tsk, he's always angry. Did the old hag tell you what he needs from us?" Mingyu spoke up and questioned the maid.

"No sir!" The maid answered quickly. "But j-just to add youngmasters, he's not 'angry' like what I think you're thinking of. He really looks stressed and mad. He keeps throwing stuff along the way and even broke—"

"Broke what?" I joined in the conversation and looked at her, getting her intimidated by my stare.

"I-I... O-One of I believe is your mother's porcelain that was displayed by the third hallway..." She muttered clearly and terrifyingly bowed her head even lower than before she came.

As I clearly heard what she said, I looked in another direction and went back to watching a bit of the television, trying to calm myself. I felt Mingyu's eyes scanning me to see what I was going to do as I replied with it by simply sipping some coke.

...before eventually crushing it and slamming it to where the helpless maid stood, but just by the side not to hurt her.

"That undeserving hag." I insulted as I cleared my throat and fixed my appearance.

Mingyu suddenly went on to place his hand over my shoulder and proceeded to give me a very simple yet great recommendation, wasting no time and just straight to the point.

"Let's just go before he also breaks some of my mother's belongings. Let's just wish it'll be quick."