#10: Behind his eyes

"Thank you for coming here by the way. I thought you're just gonna leave me standing." 

"Did you think that we're not going to come?" I looked at him.

"That's not actually what I meant. I've been on dates back in the days and let me say, it always doesn't end well in the end—"

"I'M IN TRAUMA AND IT GOT ME SINGING~ (YEAH YEAH YEAH!) STUCK IN TRAUMA—S-Sorry just caught up in the moment..." Inha looked away shyly after she sang.

We were already done talking about the important stuff so we decided to use the rest of the time to hang out or just get to know each other, something like that.

So far I really like his personality, the same as his spirit. While taking some sips from our milkshakes, my phone started to ring and it was...

An unknown number?

"Hey Inha, do you recognize this number?" 

"I don't, you don't know the number either?" She took and checked my phone.

"Yeah, I don't recognize it." 

I was almost going to tap 'accept' but Wonwoo quickly stopped me from doing so. He gave me a small shake in the head and told me to just ignore it.

"Don't take it," Wonwoo whispered. "It may be dangerous that we don't know."

"What if it's important?" 

"I think it's bad news, then let me answer it in case." 

I was a little shocked about his small offer but I was a little hesitant at the same time. But I still think giving up my phone to him is a more good idea thus I did. He gently tapped 'answer' and lifted my phone close to my mouth, all we are waiting for is only another voice.

"H-Hello?" I stuttered. Is somebody there?"

pure silence.

"Wonwoo I think we should hang up—"

"Shhh!"

"Hello? Is this Hayoon's number?" A very familiar voice spoke.

"Wait, Mingyu is that you?"

"Finally! I finally found your number!"

"Wait, didn't I told you my phone number?" I raised one of my eyebrows.

"No? But that's beside the point. I was wondering if you and Inha want to hang out in my house!" 

"My birthday is actually tomorrow. I'm sorry if it's a little late and it was also a little sudden. So what do you say?" Mingyu asked in a very cheerful tone.

I shared a quick glimpse with Inha and she looked very surprised. We didn't know what to say until Wonwoo leaned closer to my ear and whispered something very quick.

"S-Sure! When is it?" I replied.

"Maybe after dismissal, I can drive you there. I also have a quick surprise for you two!~"

"What is it?"

"As I said, it's a surprise—"

And completely out of nowhere, we heard a short but yet loud voice coming from Mingyu's background. I describe it as a very manly and a very strong voice, maybe coming from a man in his 40's. The three of us looked at each other in confusion until Mingyu decided to speak again.

"A-Anyways, I need to go. See you and Inha tomorrow!"

He hung up.

...

"What was that?" 

How am I supposed to know?"

"That voice kinda creeps me out honestly. Is that his father?"

"I think so, it really sounds likely. But I think your friend's voice is the one we should be concerned about, he sounded very nervous." Wonwoo joined our conversation.

"But why?"

"Who am I supposed to know? I didn't meet your friend yet." He pointed out.

"That's not what I meant but he did sound very nervous. He even stuttered over the phone, but a more different way of stuttering." She crossed her arms.

The atmosphere went from a very light one into a very, very serious one. We were all busy thinking and we were all busy processing.

But I don't get it.

"Hayoon?"

"Yes?" 

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure what is it?" I asked.

"I know this is weird or something but.."

"But what?"

"Can I... protect you?"

...

I was lost.

I was suddenly lost in his very pure-looking expression, it was unreadable. But why does this sound familiar? I know I can see something behind his eyes and it is...

It was someone else.

"Yes."

.

.

.

And they didn't know, one man was listening through the phone. Full of anger and full of jealousy, trying his best to stop all of it by bursting out.