Chapter 34: News

Charlie was half asleep, leaning on Brandon when Kyle ran out to the bench.

"Hey, guys, you need to see thi- oh, nice." Kyle smirked, but shook it off and frowned again. "Come inside, there's something you need to see on the TV. Right now."

Charlie yawned. "Wha-? Alright, if you think it's that important, I'll come in," she sighed. "I was dozing off."

"So you were going to sleep on Brandon?" Kyle raised an eyebrow. "Interesting. Very Interesting. But seriously, follow me." Kyle led them into his room, where Sofie was intently staring at the box tv that was sitting on the desk. A well dressed man, probably in his twenties, spoke through the screen.

"If you're just joining us, we have just received exclusive breaking news regarding the murder of former gym leader Marla. That story is coming up after the break." The show cut to a black screen, and then to ads.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me," Kyle groaned. "Gustavo?" Charlie's face went scarlet, and Sofie rolled her eyes, sensing the impending explosion from Charlie.

"You told Gustavo?!" Charlie practically shrieked at Kyle. "Are you stupid?? What is wrong with you??" Brandon raised an eyebrow, confused, but put a hand on Charlie's back.

"I don't think Kyle would do that," he spoke evenly, "and if he did, I'm sure he didn't mean to. It's not the end of the world. Chill out." Kyle frowned, but didn't reply. "Anyway, we can talk about this later. We need to hear what they actually know before we explode at eachother. It isn't even necessarily about us."

"Don't tell me to chill out, Brandon," Charlie grumbled, elbowing him hard in the ribs.

"All three of you, shut the fuck up!" Sofie spoke up at last, frustrated with the bickering that never seemed to stop. "Listen to the tv, for the love of Arceus."

"As almost everyone in the region already knows, a few short days ago, Penrith Gym's leader was brutally shot to death on the path to Conto Town. The ongoing investigation has produced very few suspects.. until today, that is. A Gym Leader who wishes to remain anonymous cracked after a long interview with the police, and revealed he had reasons to believe at least two of four teenagers who were in the area at the time were involved. Interim Champion Spruce said this in an interview earlier today."

The footage cut to Professor Spruce outside the Pokemon League. He had been appointed Champion in an almost unanimous vote from the gym leaders following Riley's death.

"I mean, it's not a coincidence. I know most of these kids well. But who was the top suspect when Riley died? Well, there's your answer. Someone with ties to an evil team surely had some connection here, and I think upon further investigation they will agree with my assumptions," he told the interviewer"

"The other three? I don't know. They're good kids. An odd bunch, but I can't really imagine any of them doing this." Professor Spruce adjusted his collar and wiped off some sweat from his brow. The footage returned to the man at the desk.

"We reached out to police for further comment, but they refused to give much more information. If you were recently in touch or around any of these four people, they have suggested you stay away as much as possible. Thank you, and good night."

"Well, isn't this just fucking wonderful," Charlie's face was increasingly reddening with panic and fear. A single knock at the door was enough to make her jump. Kyle opened the door and was greeted by a woman in blue uniform, holding a clipboard.

"Good evening," the woman began. "Are your friends Charlie and Sofie here? Could the three of you come with me to the station? And.." she struggled to read the sheet of paper she had on the clipboard. "Brendan."

"It's Brandon," Kyle replied. "But yeah, sure." The officer nodded, and led the four out of the room. Kyle and Brandon looked relatively calm considering the circumstances, but Sofie had a look of pure fury, and Charlie was terrified.

A short while later

Brandon had tried hugging Charlie before they all split up to be interviewed, but Charlie  pushed him away before he could, leaving him annoyed and a bit humiliated. Either way, he had her back if need be. The woman from the hotel was interviewing him, possibly because they considered his involvement minimal and she barely seemed qualified to do much more.

"Hey Brandon, how would you consider your interactions with Marla in the past?" She asked. Her tone was oddly friendly for an investigation, which rubbed him the wrong way.

"Meh. If you ignore her trying to kill my best friends, it was fine."

The officer smiled despite Brandon's bitter tone. "How would you consider Charlie's interactions with Marla?" And as soon as he heard what she was asking, he knew what was up.

They wanted him to rat out his friends.

"Listen, I get what youre trying to do, and I'm not stupid. And even if I was, there's a fat chance I'm telling you the story you're hoping to push here. There isn't a violent bone in Kyle or Charlie, so if you want me to get them in trouble, then you can go fu-"

"Language, young man. This isn't helping your case."

Brandon rolled his eyes. "What case? Kyle and I were at the hotel all day the day Marla died. Simple as that. I don't think you have anything over us." Brandon immediately stopped talking, realizing his mistake.

"How about Charlie and Sofie? Where were they?" The officer leaned forward, though her tone was still friendly.

"No clue. I'm done here. Thanks for your time," Brandon replied, standing up and shaking her hand.

When Brandon walked out of the office, Sofie was already leaning up against the wall, waiting for her friends. She had effortlessly lied through most of the interview, as if doing so was second nature. She managed to direct suspicion off of herself, but crumbled when the interview became about Charlie. It was obvious what the officers were trying to do, but she still couldn't twist the interview in her favor. 

"They're keeping Charlie for the night," Sofie muttered, lifting her eyes up from her phone screen. "Apparently she conked out mid interrogation." 

"What about Kyle?"

"He went back to the hotel with me earlier to get some stuff for Charlie, but was also too tired to come back. So he's still back there."

"Alright. Let's go."

Upon returning to the hotel, Brandon was tossing and turning all night. He had slipped up once already, and was terrified that he had done more to endanger his friends without knowing it. The next few days would be very important, but how would he be able to deal with it all?