Chapter 12: Ashbourne City

Sunday, May 24

Brandon woke in another hotel room. It was much nicer than the bare bones Skoro Town hotel room, where there were beds, a washroom, and a TV. This one had a desk, a fridge and an AC unit, along with all the other stuff. He could hear Charlie and Sofie talking in the other room, but Kyle was still asleep. Brandon stood up, walking out of the room. He needed a break. He was going back to Penrith.

A few hours later

Kyle woke and got out of bed. He grabbed an apple from the fridge and walked out. He saw Charlie exit her room and walk briskly out of the hotel. Kyle knocked lightly on the door Charlie had exited.

"One second," Sofie called out. She had spent the past day with the trio, and they had all decided it would be better for all of them if she stuck around with them. Well, Kyle decided for Brandon, who refused to talk beyond a few lines.

Sofie pulled open the door and smiled. "I guess you saw Charlie just then. She wants to go talk to the Gym Leader. Eddie is useless and he hates me, though. So not a good idea for me to follow her."

Kyle nodded. "Did Brandon go with her?" he asked.

Sofie shook her head. "We don't know where he went. I think he took Charlie's rant really personally. I understand why both of them are mad. Charlie really hurt Brandon's feelings, and her reasoning is that she was hurting. It's a tough situation."

Kyle nodded. "So, what do you want to do? It's a nice day outside, if you want to go for a walk," he smiled. Sofie shrugged.

"Honestly, I probably need to go back to Razor HQ. They won't leave you alone until they have me."

Kyle shook his head. "We're all in this now. Whether you like that or not."

Sofie shook her head. "Listen. Team Razor doesn't treat me amazingly. Or even that well. But I have nowhere else to go. When Team Razor took me, I had no desire to go back. Because my parents hated me too. Plus, the boss treated me well when I did what he told me to. You guys have places to go if shit blows up. You have your parents," she sighed. "I don't have any of that."

Kyle reached for her hand, smiling. "Don't worry about that. You've been all over the region by yourself already, anyway. Plus, the others like you, so you're fine," he told her. "Worst case scenario, I'm sure my mom wouldn't mind having you stay with us for a little while.

Sofie smiled, wrapping her arms around Kyle. "Thanks."

At the gym..

Charlie made her way into the gym, a giant red Dojo with black lettering on the top. The gym leader was staring at the wall, back towards her.

"Hey!" She called out. The leader frowned, turning around.

"Hey. Unless you have 7 badges, I don't battle trainers. Sorry."

"No, it's not that. It's that.. Team Razor tried to hurt me and my friends. They came after us while we were in their building. Sofie saved our ass."

The gym leader frowned again. He was fairly tall, standing above Charlie, and had bright red hair and a confident manner.

"Let me get this straight. You and Sofie, the Team Razor admin, were snooping around, and you want me to punish the boss? Are you serious? That's ridiculous. I should be punishing you for trespassing. But whatever. If you get out of here, I'll let you off. But please, miss, don't do anything stupid there again. They aren't nice people. And if you do, I don't be very nice either."

Charlie frowned. "Fuck you, man. You're an idiot," she replied, kicking the door open and intentionally slamming it behind her.

Brandon returns to Ashbourne.

Brandon had spoken to Gustavo, and heard what he needed to hear. The Penrith Gym was closed, as Brandon had suspected. He had a good chat with Gustavo about other things too, and Gustavo seemed like a genuinely nice guy, rather than Marla, who he could tell was angry beneath the surface, with one thing or another.

Brandon entered the hotel, and swiped his key card into his room. He entered to see.. Kyle and Sofie, with Sofie wrapped around Kyle.

"Dude.." Kyle frowned. "read the room."

Brandon grinned. "Alright. Later, man." He shut the door.