Chapter 4: Battle House Antics.

"Sorry, you three can't battle in the house together. Singles or Multi battles only."

Brandon groaned. Kyle had been asking if they could make an exception for the past 5 minutes, and Brandon was about to snap, but Charlie smiled at him and shook her head. 

"Just keep your cool for a few more minutes. They'll either kick him out or let us battle."

The Battle House had a large indoor battlefield with a floor of packed dirt. The center of the field had a Pokeball design on it, and the walls were a striped white and blue.

"Please, man," Kyle asked again, "I'll pay extra." The man shook his head.

"No can do," he replied, as the door screeched open.

"I want to battle," Sofie said, letting the door fall shut behind her. 

"These three are doing doubles first, unless you want to help them out," the man told her. "I'll make a deal. Free admission, two of you battle the other two and the winners get into the battle house section completely free. Makes things interesting."

Sofie nodded. "Me and Totodile have trained a lot since you losers last battled us. We have a gym badge now. I won't lose again."

Kyle sighed. "I'll be on her team. Neither of you will, so whatever," he walked a little closer to Brandon. "Don't screw this up. Char likes you. I'm giving you a chance to team up."

Brandon grinned. The generally whiny Kyle he knew had become a lot more observant recently. It seemed that being out of Nuwork was good for everyone. "Thanks, dude. You're a pretty great friend."

"You two done over there? Pretty intimate bromance you've got going on there," Charlie joked. Sofie laughed quickly before going quiet.

"Yes, Charlie, we are," Kyle laughed. "And, as a matter of fact, it is the most intimate of bromances," he said, earning the group a second laugh.

"Alright. Let's do this!" Charlie tossed a Pokeball. "Bulbasaur, let's do this!" Bulbasaur's vines snapped forward as it stared at Sophie's Totodile angrily. 

"Diglett, let's go!"

"Alright Marill, let's get this dub."

Totodile snapped it's jaws and launched itself at Bulbasaur, managing to inflict serious damage before Marill knocked it off with Tackle. Bulbasaur snapped a vine at Diglett, who burrowed underground and knocked Marill into the air.

"We're a mess!" Brandon shouted angrily. "No way we can win like this!" Despite their serious type advantage, Brandon and Charlie were simply being outperformed by Sofie and Kyle.

"Alright, Totodile, nice work. Finish Marill with Bite!" Marill fell to the battlefield and was placed in Brandon's Pokeball.

"Come on, Char. You've got this!" Totodile was struck by vines and fainted.

"Thanks, Totodile, you did great."

Diglett burst up from underground yet again, knocking out Bulbasaur.

"Dammit. Good game," Charlie forced a smile.

"You two were a mess," Sofie said coldly. "No teamwork whatsoever. Nice work, Kyle. Not bad, compared to what we were up against."

Kyle smiled before tilting his head, confused as to whether he was complimented, or insulted.

"Sorry, Char. I sucked," Brandon admitted.

Charlie shrugged. "You weren't great, but neither was I. We can both beat Kyle individually. Sofie is the problem," she replied. Brandon nodded.

"She is strong," he agreed. "They had good teamwork, too."

"About Sofie.." Charlie began. "You think she's the leader of Team Razor?" she asked.

"Nope," Brandon immediately shut it down. "When she was talking to her Totodile in the woods, remember, the softie said something about 'bosses orders' and how she wouldn't do it if she didn't have to," he chuckled. 

Charlie nodded. "Maybe we should get Kyle to try getting to know her? She hates us and we hate her, so maybe she'll talk to him?" 

Brandon nodded. "Hey, Kyle! Come here!" Brandon explained their plan, and Kyle nodded. 

"Sure, she doesn't hate me as much as you two," he told them, walking off into the beginning of the Battle House.