Chapter 19: It's a... date?

Brandon and Charlie were laughing as they walked to the center of town square to announce that they gave up. They spotted Kyle and Sofie, and walked over.

"We almost had it," Brandon laughed.

"We do have it," Kyle beamed, showing off the Golden Magikarp. 

"Yep, you would be the person to find it right after we lost it," Charlie laughed into her hand.

"I still say it's rigged," Brandon joked. "People heard about the power couple sweeping through the region's gyms and decided to rig a contest for them."

Kyle chuckled. "But.. you guys didn't win?" 

"Shut up, Kyle."

"Sure."

Later that day, after Kyle and Sofie had claimed the trophy, they were sitting outside in the cool, but nice, weather.

"Kyle, how do you think of some of your schemes?"

"This one just came up when Professor Spruce mentioned the Pokédex had a habitat mode. I wondered if it could be used as the basis for a fish finder, and lo and behold, it could," he smiled. "Sofie?"

Sofie shook her head. "Sorry, I zoned out for a second. Professor Spruce, he sounds familiar."

"Well, yeah. He's the most well known professor in the region," he replied, frowning.

Sofie shrugged. "Yeah, I guess," she replied, unconvinced.

Kyle smiled. "What time is it?

"4:30."

"Nice. There's a pizza restaurant here that me, you, Bran and Char could go to for supper."

"You'll have to convince Brandon first, but I'm not opposed," she smiled as Kyle pulled out his phone, sending a text to Brandon.

Brandon and Charlie were relaxing in Brandon's hotel room when his phone dinged.

"Hey, Char, Kyle wants us to come to supper with Sofie and him. Interested?"

"It's a date!" She blurted, face turning bright red.

Brandon laughed. "Okay, sure. But only because you're so desperate," he joked.

"Oh, what would I ever do without your gracious assholery," she replied.

"I don't think that's a word."

"Shut up, Brandon."

"Okay."

Brandon entered the restaurant a few minutes early, careful not to embarrass the group by arriving late. Kyle and Sofie entered just after him, smiling. Kyle was wearing one of three collared shirts his mom made him pack and one of two pairs of jeans, and Brandon immediately felt underprepared, in his "Poggermon" T-shirt that Kyle had ordered to his house just before they left Nuwork. A funny prank, and Brandon promised to wear it, but bad timing.

Charlie walked in wearing an 'I'm with stupid' t-shirt, and Sofie and Kyle started laughing. Sofie walked past Brandon to their table, whispering "Sorry, Brandon. It was too good of an idea to pass up on. She asked me what to wear. That was her demise." Brandon smirked.

Charlie sat down next to Brandon as the waiter, a guy a few years older than them, walked over.

"Uhh, I'll have pizza," Charlie stammered. Brandon snickered.

"Good idea," he joked. "I'll have the universal pizza too. There's only one kind, right?"

Charlie blushed. "Sorry. Uhh.. Alolan?"

The waiter nodded. Brandon, Sofie and Kyle all ordered a pepperoni pizza.

After a little while of eating in silence, Sofie decided to speak up.

"So, what's everyone's plan for tomorrow?"

"I'm going back to Skoro Town. I need to get the second badge," Charlie replied.

"I'll come with," Brandon quickly answered.

"I'll probably try using my habitat finder to locate some rare Pokémon," Kyle grinned.

As the evening went on, they ate in general silence. Later that night, Charlie apologized to Brandon.

"That was so boring.. I'm sorry," she laughed.

"Don't worry about it. I enjoyed it," Brandon smiled. "I'll see you tomorrow when we leave for Skoro Town?" He asked.

Charlie smiled. "Alright.